Sunday, November 11, 2007

Broccoli Pudding

Sounds nasty, right? That was my first thought. Today we went and visited Honey's grandparents and Granny brought up this dish she used to make. She said that every time she made it, she always said to Poppy, "Boy, I wish "Honey" (of course she used his real name) was here to eat this with us." This is the dish she completely associated with my husband. No small feat to be strongly linked with one thing in a veritable sea of grandchildren and great-grandchildren. I swear, there must be a million folks in that clan.

Anyway, I want to be the kind of wife that my husband pats on the cheek (the blushing one next to my nose...get your mind out of the gutter) and says, "Oh, tastes like Granny used to make." Also, I feel like the vestiges of his childhood need to be protected in the house filled with my mementos and amidst weekends and trips filled with my family. Check out the recipe:

(Broccoli Casserole is its real name)
10 oz frozen chopped broccoli
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 eggs
1 cup mayonnaise
1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Crushed potato chips

Cook and drain broccoli according to the package. Combine soup, eggs, mayo, and cheese. Fold in broccoli until well mixed. Pour into buttered casserole dish. Bake at 350* until set. (Granny says about 35 minutes.) Remove from oven and cover with crushed chips. Bake until brown.

**Things I did differently**
I forgot to butter the casserole dish. Ooops. I thought the recipe looked like it would be a little 'soup-y', so I did a whole bag, 16 oz of broccoli. Also, I added approximately 3/4 of a cup pre-cooked cubed chicken breast I had already on hand. It was surprisingly good (Unlike the crow I had to eat (besides the two generous helpings of casserole) after telling my husband, repeatedly, that it sounded gross. Anyway, need some comforting creamy chicken? Here go.

2 comments:

Family Adventure said...

What an amazing grandmother your husband has. So sweet :)

Thanks for the recipe - it sounds exactly like the kind of dish my husband would. I think adding the chicken was a good idea.

Heidi

LoriD said...

We have a family recipe similar to that - it is a staple at all of our Christmas and Thanksgiving meals.