Thursday, August 11, 2011

Yum

Today, I am to compare myself to a single food. What am I most like? Crispy, crunchy, sour, sweet, tangy, soft and chewy? I had to think about it for a while.

Self, shall I compare thee to a....pickle?

A vegetable grown in the sun. Photosynthesis and green chlorophyll. Gaining nutrients from the earth, a food for more than just humans. A tiny part of an ecosystem that is a backyard garden. Doused in harsh acid, herbs, and spices and left to marinate until, while deliciously biting and snappy, unrecognizable from that original vegetable.

Or, perhaps, a cupcake?

A sweet fluffy confection mostly dolled up for special occasions. Not really part of a set food group and offering little to no substantive nutritional value. Delicate. Pretty. Fun. While technically is supposed to be a single serving, highly enjoyable to eat in vast quantities, although guilt will presumably follow, accompanied by a tummy ache.

Maybe a raisin?

Grown on a vine with a multitude of brethren. Plucked and dried until wrinkled and tough. All moisture removed. Sugars concentrated. Either loved or hated and served commonly with floury baked goods, apples, and spice.

Bread.

A conglomerate of ingredients, mixed and mixed, and pushed down to simply rise up again. Exact temperatures, moisture, and yeast needed to assure a good rise. Baked in a hot oven and transformed from gummy lump to something that is delicious with butter and jam.

I can't actually pick one that is all "me." I think I am a buffet. A little of this, a little of that. Nothing in extreme quantities. The yucky stuff is easily passed over until the more yummy portions have been all eaten up. But when you are hungry, you get what you get.

What kind of food are you?

1 comment:

Shalini said...

A glass of wine--sweet, sour, a little bit boozy?