Do you have a catchphrase? There are things I say all the time that people who know me identify specifically with me. I am fond of "Correlation does not equal causation," which is totally stolen from Honey, but I use it way more often. Also, "Nothing exists in a vacuum," which I got from an old college professor. I also have a tendency to use the number 8 in hyperbole/complaining a lot. Don't ask me why. I am not particularly fond of the number 8, perhaps this is why I use it negatively so often. "I asked you to do that 18 times!" (More like 2-3.) "It took you 8 days to get home!" (Try 20 minutes.) "You were in the bathroom for 80 minutes!" (This one is actually true. We have a marathon pooper in our house. I won't say who.)
I have a good friend who I like to steal wisdom from. She says things like:
"There are as many ways to live as there are people in the world."
"Spend your money on experiences, not things."
"It would be great if (fill in the blank). But it's not. Oh well!"
"Children need love most when they deserve it the least."
I had a great-grandmother who used to say, "What you put in your head, no one can take away from you," and "If you use a pencil, it is going to leave a mark!" That last one was about unintended pregnancy, I think. Good Grief, Granny!
What snippets of wisdom do you have floating around in your head, slipping into your speech and coloring your thought processes?
4 comments:
Mine aren't snippets of wison, just stuff I am always caught saying but they include:
"That's not my hill" (to die on)
"If I can" (I never out right promise anything and I'm famous for this being my answer to almost everything)
"I rule this roost"
and
"This ain't my first rodeo"
(I always say this to hubby and he usually counters with "And you got the buckle to prove it")
I pretty often think "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof," which I think I heard first from James Randi but is actually a Carl Sagan quote, and I feel unmotivated to look into it further than that.
I am known for saying (incredulously, no less) “REALLY??” as in ‘are you seriously saying this/doing this right now??’ And my kids say it too.
My favorite line when I had direct reports who asked me stupid questions (Do we need paper for this meeting??) was “I’m going to let you make that decision.” It got to the point where they would stop in mid sentence and say “…I’m just going to make that decision…”
I pick up things from my children, who pick up things from school (I think? I hope?). My three-year-old used to say, "that's what she said," to everything. Don't ask me where he learned it. I have no idea!
Post a Comment