Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Special

Today, the middle of the week, a Wednesday, is our wedding anniversary.

We were married on a Wednesday on the beach at sunset. The mid-week location wedding made quite a few people goggle at us as if we had no idea what we were doing. We didn't, of course. The only people I really cared about being there was my parents and my son. Even so, my childhood best friend drove over right after getting off of a plane from Europe. My grandparents drove from Ohio. (My grandmother tried to talk us into going to the Golden Corral for our wedding dinner/reception. "Misty! They have steak and chicken. You can get whatever you want! It's Dee-licious!)

I did my own flowers and they were beautiful. A tightly packed bouquet of red and white rose buds that was bigger than my head. I also made corsages/boutonnieres for just about everyone who came. My grandfather wore shorts and sandals. Honey and I wore no shoes at all at his personal request. We had a violinist to play while I walked down to the beach. While I could see him, I don't remember anything of what it sounded like because of the crashing of the waves. It felt almost like we were alone on the sand. We wrote our own wedding ceremony. I forgot the cues and kissed him twice. It was a really special day that didn't actually change our relationship. I think that is a mark of a good marriage.

I love you. You are my best friend. Today I give myself to you in marriage. I promise to encourage and inspire you, to laugh with you, and to comfort you in times of sorrow and struggle. I promise to love you in good times and in bad, when life seems easy and when it seems hard, when our love is simple, and when it is an effort. I promise to cherish you, and to always hold you in highest regard. These things I give to you today, and all the days of our life.

Just as this ring I give you today is a circle without end, my love for you is eternal.
Just as it is made of incorruptible substance, my commitment to you will never fail.

2 comments:

Shalini said...

Happy Anniversary! I loved this: "I forgot the cues and kissed him twice." hooray for forgetting the cues :)

d e v a n said...

AWWWW! Happy anniversary!