Monday, August 22, 2011

Evening

This evening I had a massage scheduled. I had bought a Groupon for $30 that was for an hour-long massage in our town about two weeks ago. I had a massage once before at one of the local spas and wasn't overly impressed with the experience. When today rolled around, I couldn't remember why I felt like this was a good idea. I was pretty nervous.

I was even MORE nervous when I learned that the studio was in someone's home. Before I left, I showed Honey my certificate so he could find my body if I didn't make it home alive. (Hello, melodrama.) The house wasn't very far from mine at all, but our town is pretty small. It was 150 year old yellow house with a tiled fountain in the backyard and a beautiful deck. The masseuse led me into the studio and gave me some instructions on where to put my clothing and such. There was a nice table-top fountain in the room as well. The water sounds coupled with the music she had chosen made for a nice relaxing atmosphere. The sheets were warmed, pale blue and silky. I would say the only drawback was that throughout the process, there were some home-sounds. Opening and shutting of doors. A few snippets of conversation. The sounds of a dog walking down the hallway. Even so, it was a nice experience and I am really glad I went.

My actual favorite part was when she walked me out to my car. She had a couple of hens that had come onto her back deck and I said how I liked her chickens. Then she pointed up into the twisted and curved branches of the 150 year old live oak in her backyard and sure enough, there was a Bantam rooster looking down on us! She said something like at 6 o'clock every evening, there was the 'throwing of the chickens'. I couldn't fathom what she had meant by that...but as I walked to my car, I turned around and saw my masseuse picking up the hens and gently tossing them into the live oak. They ruffled their feathers in a chicken parody of flying and ended up next to the rooster, a good 20-25 feet off the ground.

I laughed softly to myself as I got in my car and thought, "Only here."

3 comments:

Shalini said...

I've never had a massage before but I would *totally* show my husband the address, too. That's funny about the chickens--ours are too dumb to even fake fly.

d e v a n said...

Wow, that is interesting about the chickens! Glad you enjoyed the massage!

Nik-Nak said...

Ahhh I has a massage once and it was pure heaven. But my rubbing lady talked to me the whole time and that kind of sucked. But other than that it was wonderful.

Neat about the chickens. I guess you don't need a roosting house when you can just toss em in a tree.