Every time I read this post (I think it is the 7 millionth) I get So. Angry. See, these kinds of things don't happen in our house. We have rules, understandings, and a no-pressure-in-the-bedroom relationship. Why is that? A number of factors. We are socially aware. My place of business works to end violence against women as its mission. My husband respects me as his equal and, to my knowledge, doesn't buy into stereotypes about femininity and masculinity. He believes in what I do. I *think* he "gets it." We also talk. A lot.
From the comments, my husband and I are obviously from Jupiter because everyone seems to go through this. Husbands pressuring their wives for sexual access. Why would this be ok? Um, why would you want to have sex with someone you guilted into it? Why would you want to be with a woman who doesn't want to be there and finds it irritating. To me, sex is when two people are together and it is not forced/coerced and is completely consentual and mutual. If a man is using a woman to get off, I call that vaginal masturbation at best.
Remember men of the world: I am not an object, I am a person. So if you are just looking to get off? Head to the bathroom with the KY and take care of business. Guilt/Silent Treatment/and all that jazz are types of coercion in my book. And coercion is WRONG.
So tell me, bloggy sages. How do I make sure that my sons do not grow up into men who think that this is acceptable behavior? As far as I am concerned, there is obviously an epidemic. A failure in masculinity. Something.
4 comments:
I hear ya. And I'm with you too. TFH and I had this talk loooong ago. Even so, it is still a topic for discussion at times. Be thankful that you have an easy relationship, and that you can openly discuss things. Some (many?) people just don't have that, or don't know how to talk about it.
PS, I couldn't get the link to work, but I read swistle's post, and whether that's what you were referring to or not, seems like it's in the air.
I think I have fixed the link. Thanks for the head's up. And for the reminder. Be thankful. I will.
I heart you. :)
Also, I will probably post tomorrow so ask away until then.
I was a little wowed too. I of course didn't want to post "well MY husband never..." I can relate but not with my current husband. Either he's a gentleman, he's scared of me, or he knows better (which is the same thing really...)
Post a Comment