Thursday, October 25, 2007

*SLAP*

Me: I feel really guilty. Next year I will be able to participate more in "X." Jelly Bean won't be breastfeeding and I will be able to stay the whole time.

Co-worker: You are still breastfeeding? Why?

Me: Because the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding (see #10) for the first year and longer if desired by both mother and child and the World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for the first two years.

Co-worker: *sips coffee* That's sick.

Me: Thank you for insulting my life choices.

Co-worker: I didn't mean to insult your life choices.


Well then, exactly what did you think you were doing when you called my feeding my child "sick"? Like I am abusing him or forcing him? Just goes to show the level of ignorance. How do you breastfeed an unwilling child?

If I were gay and told you about a date with my partner, would you say "that's sick"?
If I voted in a way you didn't approve of, would you say "that's sick"?
If I chose to use a birth control method you wouldn't even consider, would you say "that's sick"?

Kind words? Anyone? I think I might cry.

7 comments:

doug said...

Me: You know what else is sick? Me hitting you in the face with this crowbar. Yep, that'd be sick.

Co-worker: Why do we even have a crowbar in the kitchen?

Me: You know what else is sick? Asking too many goddamn questions.

LoriD said...

I nursed all three of my kids for the first year. At pretty much the 1-year mark, the girls were done and I was okay with that. The boy, however, was about 20 months before he was done. I stopped admitting that I was still breastfeeding after about the tenth comment from someone thinking it was warped and gross. I didn't get it... he was still very much a baby and, by all accounts, it was good for him. Why is that sick? Or gross?

d e v a n said...

There are so many hangups about this in our society. It's really sad. :(
Just know that you're doing a wonderful thing for your baby.

Sara said...

I second Doug's thoughts. And also, excuse my FRENCH, but who the hell is this person???

When I pumped at work after both kids, people behaved like I was a FREAK SHOW. You know, like what do you mean you need to go pump now, or...you're not putting that in the fridge, are you?

It's milk you a-holes and we're doing a wonderful thing for our babies.

You should take comfort in the fact that this person is apparently uneducated about the medical benefits, as well as the extreme bonding experience of breast feeding.

Idiot.

And p.s. ((HUGS))

Family Adventure said...

Doug said it well. And seriously, you need to not talk to that co-worker anymore. What an ignoramus.

Don't feel bad - (s)he's not worth it!

- Heidi

Mad said...

People just don't get it. It makes me want to scream. Maybe after what you said to him, he'll retreat, scratch his head and come round. Maybe, he'll think he's being funny and tell the story to a sister or friend who will give him the smack upside the head he clearly needs.

Anonymous said...

Oh you poor thing... Don't let people get to you. I am another closet breastfeeder. I nursed for 12 and 14 months and stopped admitting it after 6 months. They are still babies and as long as you two feel right about it no one else is privy to comment. At least you'll find plenty of support online! hehe