Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Move

I go to belly dancing classes on Tuesdays. And I really like it.

When I first tried it, it seemed...well, boring. But not because of the instructor. The instructor is great. She is easy going and joyful; always laughing and making jokes. She is so beautifully vibrant and youthful (even though, truth to tell, she is older than me.) The problem was that the movements were so tiny and I am not a tiny girl and they were hard to see through the not-so-tininess. You have to isolate certain parts of your body and just use this muscle or that muscle. It was HARD to move your shoulders, but not your hips. Plus, I was not sure I actually had any rhythm.

But just like with other classes I have taken, somewhere during the week magic happens. Then you walk into class that night and the things you couldn't wrap your head around suddenly make sense and you can do it. Yay! Plus, it is just so fun to go and do something that is just for me. It has nothing to do with work or the kids or Honey. My responsibilities and worries and choices just fall away. I am here in a room with other women and we are all striving to do this one synchronized thing.

Frivolous activity? Well, depends on your perspective. The war will not end nor will my dishes get done if I can master that hip pivot. But it feels like such a sanctuary for my mind. While it is difficult, there is no internal struggle. It is simple. It is play. And there are no choices. Sometimes it is nice to just follow without wondering about the "right" course of action. Sometimes it is good to not be the leader. The instructor decides the next move; it is just up to me to do it to the best of my ability.

5 comments:

The Workman Family said...

I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Chantal said...

nice. This winter I have no gym membership and running in this snow is just torture. I start going to aquafit tomorrow night and I am hoping for the same type of peace.

LoriD said...

"Sometimes it is good to not be the leader." Very insightful... I never thought of it that way.

Nowheymama said...

I've always thought belly dancing would be fun....

Jennifer said...

I think it sounds like heaven! I would love to find a class like that.