Wednesday, January 7, 2009

From the Tower

We have an interesting workspace here in that we also share a building with a husband/wife business team. Yesterday, as I was walking out of the office, the Wife of said team was trying to figure out where to hang a particular piece of artwork. As we are friendly, she asked my opinion and we chatted a bit. In the end, she said, "I will get Husband to hang it here, then."

As I was doing the dishes later (which is usually Honey's task, but he was unavailable), I thought. How odd that was. It was a small piece of artwork and instead of banging a nail into the wall, she was going to get Husband to do it. And he wasn't even there and who knows when he would be in next? Now, don't think I am hating on Wife, because I do the same thing all the time. I expect that Honey will caulk and seal the new shed. Not because he has some sort of expertise in construction-y type things, but simply because it is an "outside job" and I guess, because he is the man, he gets to do the "outside jobs." Or maybe just that caulking is a masculine-manual-labor-type task and I have to stay inside to keep my skin lily white...Weird, right? It strikes my feminist self as interesting that I still do things in everyday life that reaffirm stereotypical gender roles without any really basis for the affirmation.

Not that I am saying "Let Us Take on More Tasks to Reaffirm Our Personhood", because heaven knows we have enough to do and my personhood is in no real danger here. Its just an observation to open myself up to other observations. The end.

7 comments:

jen said...

I do this too. I think I'm just in the habit of letting him do everything I can talk him into doing :)

LoriD said...

Ha! I sent Homer out this morning to shovel and clear the ice and snow off the car "because it's outside, therefore it's his job". We don't actually separate the tasks that way, but I like to say that when the outside task is unpleasant. I hang all the pictures and artwork.

Chantal said...

been there. But I often let my hubby do "things" cause they are the main things he does. I do a lot and I will be darned if I am going to do any more.

Nowheymama said...

Scott likes doing the inside jobs and I like the outdoor ones. It's taken us awhile to reach the point of realizing that is just fine.

Emblita said...

Its funny that even us liberated equality types still do that... yes me too. I just figure my hubby will be happier drilling holes in walls than folding the laundry... Lets him feel all manly and whatnot

d e v a n said...

I do it too, most of the time without thinking. However, it's usually just something *I* don't want to do.

Saly said...

Things that I don't do: snowblow or shovel, mow the lawn.

Things I try not to do but often have to: garbage and recycle.

Things Hub took over becasue I was pregnant and could not do: clean the cat box. And I have not taken that job back EVA.

He usually does the dishes which is nice.