Friday, July 11, 2008

Hell or High Water

I am going to do it, by George. I am going on a diet and I will not waddle around like a hippo anymore. As God as my witness, I shall always be hungry again!

Err...well, let's not get carried away here, Scarlett.

So, in support of other folks who are having get-in-shape type bloggy things, I think I will start doing Fitness Fridays. Which I will use to...motivate myself? Explain the drudgery of dieting? Tell you what kinds of fat free, no sugar ice cream taste like cow turds? Wax poetic about the cookies at the bakery I am no longer allowed to eat? Document measurements? Hmm. Something like that.

Ok. Sounds like fun? Well. Maybe not fun, but I will talk with you about this stuff and you can pretend to be interested! First things first. I have started walking/jogging. I was just going to walk around the block 4 or 5 times (tangent: I need to drive it to see how long the block is. Why? I am not really sure. But then I can be one of those smug people who say, "Oh, I walked/jogged X many miles today. Oh, no. It is not about being hot and rediscovering my waistline...It is about being healthy. Or some other line of bullshit. /tangent). But, I had borrowed my Honey's ipod thingy that he got for Father's Day and I just couldn't walk. I had to RUN! Ok, ok. So I jogged for about 40% of the 'session' and had to frequently bypass the songs I deemed to "suck". And it took me about 25 minutes to get around the block 5 times, (At least I think it was 5...) which was a lot less time than I expected to be out for the amount of sweat and exhaustion I was experiencing. (Bummer)

So! What I want to know from you is what songs you like to work out to? I like kick ass girly songs that may or may not be considered just a bit trashy. Something I would never admit to listening to in polite company like, oh, for instance, this. Any suggestions?

8 comments:

LoriD said...

For running, I like "shouty" songs, like You Oughta Know by Alanis Morissette or C'mon Feel the Noize by Slade. For walking/stair climbing I actually prefer to listen to audio books or pod casts of radio documentaries. *cough*geek*cough*.

LoriD said...

I forgot to add that my favourite podcasts are The Ongoing History of New Music with Alan Cross. Less geeky. Maybe.

Jess said...

Yay! I love it when other people go on health kicks and I can read all about it! I've been doing Weight Watchers for a year and it has been extremely effective.

Also, I've been working out to Rihanna and Miley Cyrus recently. I KNOW. But they are AWESOME.

Melessa Gregg said...

Cupid Shuffle is on my iPod workout list of shame, and also almost anything by ABBA.

Nowheymama said...

Sorry I stole your Saly answer! Wanna share the prize if we're right?

I like it when my husband programs my MP3 player for me. That way I'm happily distracted from my exercise pain wondering what song is next.

Chantal said...

I like your idea of Fitness Fridays (can I join you on that). I started jogging about 2 months ago and I have been trying to work it into a post for a while. I couldn't decide between an actual post or a side bar/progress meter. I am thinking a Fitness Friday post would work well. Do you mind? I am doing the Couch to 5K running plan, here is the link: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
I also run with a friend. We talk the whole time and it makes time go by much quicker.

Misty said...

Sarah - You are a sweetie heart, but I will pass on the sharing! After all, you got there first. That has to count for something, yes?

d e v a n said...

Not sure on the songs. I usually have the kids with me, which is less enjoyable but makes me walk faster so I can just get home already...