Mother's Day is coming up soon, but today I do not feel the need to wax poetic about the cult of motherhood. Nurture, kindness and patience, whatever. Madonna and Child, cover your ears.
My mother drives me crazy.
Ok, ok. Everyone's mother drives them crazy, I get it. But mine. Ug. Remember the Beachy Vacation we would like to go on? Well, we like my parents and the kids like my parents. So I wanted to invite them to go. So yesterday I call my mom to talk to her about it.
Insert Small Talk Here
Me: So, the reason I am calling is because we want you to go on vacation this summer with us.
Mom: Oooohhh, I don't think so.
Me: Don't you even want to know where we are going?
Mom: Well, I have to go to Ohio for Great-Grandma's 90th birthday...I promised. I have to go up for a weekend.
Me: Uh. Is there a reason you can't do both? And you don't even care if we are going to the freaking Grand Canyon, just as soon as I ask, the answer is automatically no? You don't love us.
Mom: Why are you whining at me?
Me: Because, all my life you have been telling me how there would be a time that we wouldn't go on trips anymore as a family and I try to make sure that never happens. But everytime I bring it up, the answer is automatically and resoundingly NO, with no details. Why don't you love us.
Mom: You are being weird.
Me: You are right. I am. When I say, "You don't love us," what I mean is you are hurting my feelings. Tell me, are you busy when we are going? Do you not like the location?
Mom: I don't know. When are you going? Where are you going? (To my father:) Your daughter is whining at me. (He rolls his eyes.)
I tell her where we are going and that we are flexible with the time schedule to accommodate them.
Mom: Fine dear. I will talk to your father about it.
Me. Thank you for at least getting all of the information and considering it before declining.
Mom: (exasperated) Yes, dear.
*Click*
GAAAAHHHARRRRAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
Now, I am not sure I captured the spirit of the interlude very well. And I kind of knew she was going to say no just for no's sake, but I still got upset and flew off the handle. I am sure she would title her blog post, if she had a blog, "My Daughter, Mood Swinger Extraordinaire" But Oh. My. God. WHY???? It feels like she just has to tell me no right off the bat, no matter the question. Is the sky blue, mother? No dear, it is purple with green polka dots. Is the moon out tonight? No, that is the sun. Didn't you know it was daytime? I look up at the stars. Sigh.
She drives me nuts. Now, I hope they say they can't go. I don't want accommodate them in scheduling or anything else. Don't you think they should at least have been flattered to have been asked? I know I would have been.
5 comments:
Sounds like my Mother in Law. And I am not allowed to talk about her in print :)
I'm sorry. She could have at least gotten the details BEFORE she said no.
Sounds like my mom....she always has an excuse.
Mothers *always* know how to get to their daughters. And that sucks.
I also think she could have asked for details first...and not been so quick to reject.
Heidi
my mother also argues with every. single. thing. I say. she will argue with me even if she agrees with me! sometimes I can see that little smirk, sometimes it's in her eyes, but it's a game she plays, and I know she enjoys it, and I find myself playing it too. And she would never ever commit to anything that would take her out of her own house, mind you. Everyone has to visit her there, she'll never come here, and only begrudgingly attends parties I have here for my kids. If it was up to her she'd have them at her house.
Post a Comment