We read some of the same blogs, you and I. And I stop by from time to time to read your most recent post. So, I saw the post about your neighbors and the April Fool's one. And I was a bit confused. I was going to email you to see if you might be good enough to explain about whether you were using the term "athiest" as an insult. I couldn't figure it out from just these couple of posts.
But before I went contacting you randomly, I wanted to see if I could find the information for myself. I did a search on your blog for the term 'athiest'. And you do mean it as an insult. Wow. It really is wrong for me to be hurt by this, but I am. I mean, I don't read your blog very often and I don't think you have ever been to mine. And I know there are Christians who are out there and blogging and very up front about their faith and worldview; I have seen the blogs.
I think maybe I would just like to say that I make a very conscious effort to ensure that my children learn tolerance. The only reason I would hope you would do the same thing is because my family has to exist in this same world with you.
That's all. I mean you no harm in thought or deed or anything else. I just wanted you to know that your words affected me. They brought tears to my eyes and made me sad for the world.
-Misty
5 comments:
Aww Honey....
((HUGS))
I agree with you. We work so hard to teach tolerance and then to see it clearly disregarded is so sad and frustrating. But it is worth it, to persevere. It is why we do it in the first place isn't it.
I'm sorry, Misty. Tolerance is something we should all be striving for.
Hugs - Heidi
Well said. Sorry it has affected you so deeply.
That gets me every time too. For a while I stopped saying I was an atheist since it usually seemed to a)make people try to convert me -which was intensely uncomfortable. or b)seemingly give people the right to tell me what a horrible person I am.
Eventually I got sick of trying to explain to people that I was not against any belief per se,tried my best to be a good person and that I was really really not interested in joining their religion. *Sigh*
It sucks that the world simply isn't all that tolerant (you know, except us atheists :P)
Post a Comment