Thursday, April 24, 2008

Dreamin'

So we are set to get a little tiny bit of 'extra' money from a consulting job that Honey has. And there is so much we want to do. Want to help me make a decision about it?
  1. Honey wants to be a woodworker. I have been saying since we moved in that I really want a clothesline. He wants to build me one. With the cost of tools (which would be good for us to have for other projects) and materials, our little chunk of change would be gone.
  2. I would like to stain and seal the flooring of the front and back porch. Honey likes the cedar color. And while I do like the cedar color as well, it is a bit orange and our house is a khaki tan color with black shutters with red doors, white trim. I think a honey color would look nicer. I would like to repaint the white bits of the porch as well, get a swing and lattice for the front. I think we could do all that with this little bit of money, provided we did all the work ourselves.
  3. The builder IS redoing our yard. So that means that everywhere that we have cultivated some sort of grassy greenery is now covered in thick hard clay/dirt. We are glad of this, really, but the mud tracks all over the house. I don't think we have enough to buy even a moderate amount of sod, so grass seed and straw it is. Maybe a new hose or two to get water where it needs to go to help the growing process.
  4. We could sack it away for the beachy vacation I am hoping to take in August/September. How I love the beach. This year, I want to get a condo as Jelly Bean does much better when he has a room of his own. If not, he just screams all night and no one gets to sleep and it is horrible.

Look at me! I am the Pioneer Woman! I am Swistle! All five of you who actually visit me, do the poll over there -->

It will be fun.

Promise.

6 comments:

LoriD said...

Okay - I voted for "Save it for a vacation" because I think you could figure out a way to get to those other things without the bonus money.

For example: clothesline. Tools can be borrowed. You might be able to get the parts by posting an ad on Freecycle (people have all sorts of stuff lying around in basements and garages just waiting for people to need them). They were actually giving away free clothesline parts this past weekend in Toronto as part of a "save energy" promotion.

The grass: Maybe the builder will throw in a bag of seed for your trouble - it doesn't hurt to ask. At the very least, some green weeds will grow there once it stops being so wet.

The porch: It's a bigger project, so you could just do it in parts. Do all the elbow grease up front and buy the seal and stain when it's on sale. You could try Freecycle for the lattice as well.

So, in summary, save up for your beachy vacation. Lord knows you need it. :-)

Anonymous said...

Yes vacation is important for your sanity; I agree.

Lori said everything I would have said. A Beachy vacation it should be!

Family Adventure said...

I voted to do the yard, because I thought the kids would get the most fun out of playing there during the summer. Lame? If so, my second choice is a vacation - because that's fun, too!! :)

Heidi

Chantal said...

I voted Vacation, but god knows if I was in your situation I would probably do the yard. I am all about the [sorta] instant gratification. It is hard saving money for vacations when there are home improvements all around me.

d e v a n said...

Hmm, either clothesline or vacation. Grass seed is pretty cheap...

Emblita said...

I love lorid's suggestion! I voted for vacation too because usually you can scrounge up a bit of cash for paint and stuff -get it on sale etc. But vacations require big hunks of money so I say vacation!