Tuesday, April 29, 2008

And now for something completely different...

  • The builder has completed exactly half of our yard. He has not done anything for at least a week and a half. This makes me nervous. When will he finish? WILL he finish? I feel the need to DO things.
  • Last night we took the kids to Wendy's for dinner. The non-picky Jelly Bean refused mandarin oranges, he refused his little hamburger. He didn't want but one chicken nugget and ate a couple of fries. He did not drink but maybe a third of his milk. What did he eat? Ketchup. With a spoon. Gah.
  • I kept saying, Lycopene? Lycopene, right? It is good for his prostate, right? Honey just looked at me. I am guessing this is not polite dinner conversation.
  • Brother, however, ate up his salad, the leftover-afore-mentioned oranges, fries and sports-drink thing. Sometimes I don't remember why I get so frustrated with his eating habits. He eats good things! It is just the menu of things he will eat is so limited, I guess.
  • There was a lady at the restaurant with a little mutant baby. Not that he had a disability of any sort I could see. He just looked...strange. With a ginormous head and the teeniest limbs. It is not nice to say mutant baby. Really. I am sure he is a lovely baby. And if he were mine, I would kiss and squeeze and love his little mutant self...
  • He was not even 2 months old and the mama gave him a bottle of water. I just don't understand bottle feeding. Is this a normal phenomenon to give water to such a little baby? Or how my kids weren't supposed to have solids until after 6 months, but then someone I know will tell me how their 6-week-old takes 4 something-or-others (teaspoons? ounces?) of cereal in their bottle at night and sleeps from dust 'til dawn. What? I feel like at best, I am from a different culture. At worst, from a different planet.
  • Then we went to Wa1Mart (why do we disguise the spellings of things, anyway? I am not quite sure. Maybe one of you would be good enough to explain to me what this precaution actually is intended to do.) to get a bit of this and that. Bought Jelly Bean some socks and some twine to string up the cucumbers (hopefully). We also found a bike on sale for Honey. For $50. I will tell you why this is significant.
  • Since all of you fine folks tell me I am in dire need of a vacation (Note to self: incorporate less venom and more sweetness and light into blog posts), I have been looking at staying on the beach in a cabin in one of Florida's state parks. So, it would be a hybrid vacation of camping-esque new adventure mixed with the old familiarity of our annual beach retreat. Good idea, huh? I am thrilled with it. I just hope Honey and Brother like the experience. It is hard to be responsible for other people's good times.
  • I have found a place where they rent bikes in the park as well. The bike rental is $50 for the week. So, I told Honey either we could rent a bike for a week at the summer's end or he could have one to keep. He opted to keep it. We are pleased.
  • Transporting the damn thing over state lines? Another story entirely. I am hoping to obtain some gear through Freecycle. Maybe?

Hope your Monday was lovely and your Tuesday is even better. And here's to Friday, may she get her chunky ass here as soon as possible. Amen.

5 comments:

Saly said...

I love this post. ED is weirdly picky too, but does eat good things, like applesauce. CA, she'll eat anything. Salad is one of her faves. And Brocolli!

I personally think that a lot of babies look like mutants when they are born, but who am I to judge.

My kids didn't have water until they were learning to sip from a cup. What is the point? Their sole form of nourishment is liquid---who needs water? The cereal thing is weird too--though I'll admit that as a 1st time parent we did try it with ED who refused because it didn't come out of a boob.....so....

Yay for the bike!! And for FL!! I am eversojealous.

And yes, hurry hup fat ass Friday!!!

Chantal said...

I didn't nurse my kids (not for long anyhow) and they didn't get water in their bottle till they were older and eating real food. And like you I didn't start cereal till 6 months. It is hard to say why people chose things. I have a friend who gave her child sugar water from birth (which all doctors will warn against). I thought she was nuts. I guess we all do things our own way.

I hope they do come back to finish your yard. I would be nervous too!

d e v a n said...

LOL @ Friday's Chunky Ass. ahahahaa

My doc has always said they don't need any additional water till 6ish months, breast or bottle feeding...

Family Adventure said...

LOL! You crack me up. Especially the part about the mutant baby (REALLY not nice...but funny... :))!

Hope the builder gets there soon. I assume you tried calling?

Heidi

Emblita said...

My midwife/Reg. nurse told us that our son wouldn't need water until he started solids... and that worked. But hey- naught as queer as folks eh?

Funny how we all picked up on that huh?

I'm glad he opted for his own bike. Biking is just so much fun when you're a kid.
I'm looking forward to friday, but tomorrow (thursday) is may 1st and therefore a day off for everyone here. So yet another short work week. So kewl!