Sunday, March 9, 2008

Minutiae the Third

  • Where we live is still a neighborhood in progress, so grass isn't real heavy around here just yet. A lot of folks, us included, still have the landscaping as a work in progress. But tell me one thing in my life that is NOT a work in progress. But I digress. Brother has, not for the first time or the second time or even the third time, gotten his shoes full of mud and wet.
  • I have had to wash them and stuff them with paper towels, hoping to wake early enough in the morning to finish the job with a blow dryer before he tromps off to the bus.
  • But...tomorrow morning is the first morning of the Spring portion of daylight savings time.
  • This morning and the week after kicks my ass. I am so not looking forward to it.
  • The broccoli and thyme are up as well! Next weekend we have it in our budget to go get a trash bin to start composting a la this video. I am excited. My folks gave us some cinder blocks to put the contraption up on. Yay!
  • Yes, I am easily thrilled. Think of my lucky husband.
  • I have started just making dough in the bread machine and baking in the oven. I think the loaves come out better this way. More tender. It is like the bread machine overdoes it. Plus the loaves are HUGE and I am starting to get fat from eating so much delicious bread and butter.
  • I practically gave up bread after reading the South Beach Diet book a couple years ago. Potatoes, too. I would only eat bread...maybe once or twice a month. Maybe. Adding the bread back into my diet as a daily thing is making my jeans tight. Sigh.
  • The Tollhouse chocolate chip cookie recipe really is the best one I have found. Yum.
  • I wish I had a cookie now. We are now buying old fashioned cream lined milk from a local dairy (By local! It helps us all!) This is the best milk I have ever tasted in my life. I thought the straight organic was so much better than the rest of the stuff in the supermarket. But this milk is so much better than even that. I am thrilled I have found it.
  • However, the whole milk is also not doing my waistline any favors.
  • I have decided not to care too much. Just so long as it doesn't get to the point where new clothes are necessary.
  • Speaking of clothes, I have recently put a whopping 8 garbage bags of the stuff on freecycle.
  • We still have too many clothes. Sheesh. Damn growing kids. In a couple months, it will have to be gone through again, I am sure.
  • I should go to bed, or tomorrow I will be even more tired than I can imagine. Here comes another hellish work week. I am so not looking forward to it. But! I am taking off the week of Brother's Spring Break to be home with him and Jelly Bean. I am excited about that. I miss my kids during the week. It will be good to be home with them for 10 whole days.

5 comments:

Swistle said...

Practically all the diets are low-carb now, since Carbs are the current Enemy. And what I find is that if I'm not on a diet, I never even THINK of bread---it's not even on my RADAR. But as soon as I'm on a diet: MUST HAVE BREAD! Same with cheese, and peanut butter. I LIKE cheese and peanut butter, but if I'm on a diet, I MUST HAVE BOTH. It's frustrating, because I keep cheating with things I don't even really WANT normally.

Family Adventure said...

I adore carbs, and I am so ignoring the current trend of no or low carbs.

Give me a slice of home made bread with butter, and I promise you an extra round on the treadmill.

Good luck with the daylight savings time. I hate it, too.

Heidi

LoriD said...

mud? Right now, mud sounds great. Maggie looked out the door this morning and said "too much snow". Indeed - it's deeper than she is tall.

That's a good idea to bake the bread in the oven. I wonder if you could also freeze the dough after all the kneading is done and just bake it when you're ready?

I eat a lot of breads, cereals and pastas. That's why I try to make everything whole-wheat, so at least the fiber is working for me.

Anonymous said...

Just reading “cream lined milk” makes me want to hork. But I hate milk in general. The bread sounds heavenly. Maybe I will do the same with my bread maker---my loaves are always misshapen. I suppose I’d need to buy a loaf pan though. I feel like once my kitchen is done, all of my cooking and baking dreams can come true. Everything is so haphazard now. I will live through you until then.

d e v a n said...

You've really made me want to bake and eat some bread. mmm