Friday, March 14, 2008

Conjure Revolution...

A doorway...
Draped satin silk toule in rowdy sexy feminine colors.
Bright tangerine, fuchsia, crimson
You know what the papier mache globe represents, right?
We enter the tunnel into the darkness
Into a beginning...

Rows of chairs stand empty in the cool air,
Then fill and fill and fill
Beautiful young vibrant women strut and pose upon the stage
Conjuring revolution with their words
Exciting laughter and tears from us all
What would it wear? Mink
What would it say? More
How would it smell? Of snowflakes

It is a celebration of the site of pleasure, pain,
And too often: trauma
The beginning of all life
It starts here in her center, in our center
A swell of pride puffs up the room

We know what they speak of
We know the truth
We have Vaginas, too.
({})

5 comments:

Family Adventure said...

Wow! I wonder what brought this on?
Do share.

Beautiful writing.

Heidi

Misty said...

I went to a performance of the Vagina Monologues last night. Not for the first time. No matter how many times I see it, it never ceases to move me.

Thank you for being brave enough to ask! I figure most everyone is going to pretend I didn't post this :)

d e v a n said...

haha.
Now I want to see that.

theflyingmum said...

I read this and - even though I haven't seen it - I thought 'I wonder if that was The Vagina Monologues?' You expressed the feeling of your experience so beautifully!
-Becky

LoriD said...

I wondered if that was from VM. I haven't seen it, but my mom (my mom!) went with a bunch of friends and loved it. I would like to go as a Girls Night Out thing.