Monday, September 17, 2007

Beaches

Hello. I am back. I think I am pretty much caught up on what you folks have been up to while I was gone. Man, were you busy! Surprise pregnancies, new cookie recipes, and I got to read two of Catherine's entries one right after the other (Pinch me.)

Speaking of waking dreams, the beach was beautiful. If it wasn't for the whole horrible global-warming-hurricane-if-you-actually-lived-here-your-property-will-all-be-underwater-before-you-hit-40 thing, I would want to live there so bad. The sand is so fine and white, the dunes look like snow drifts. The water is the most exquisitely beautiful shade of translucent aqua, it feels like you are wading in a gemstone. I love the sound of the ocean and the smell of the salt in the air. I adore the way my boys look like little rosy peaches in the pinky light of the sunset. The sun looks like a magenta orb over the clear water and miniature white horses gallop on the waves. If there were a heaven, I think it would be here.

But. There is a downside to vacations. Like, this one really wasn't a vacation for me a lot of the time, as I was at a conference for work. Good conference, but a good conference in my line of work usually causes sleeping issues. Like there is so much yucky scary stuff in your head, you can't sleep. And then there was Jelly, who thought it would be fun to nurse every 2 hours or 20 minutes, depending on the night. And the loud loud LOUD people in the swanky hotel chortling at the top of their lungs at 3 AM right outside our door, just for funsies.

We were glad to get home. I did wish I could stay. One thing I would love to be able to avoid is the feeling like you never left. Like how you walk in the door to the house and all the displaced responsibilities crash down upon you and it is like you never saw the sandy drifts or smelled the salty air. Like the whole experience was a dream. And now...You are awake.

2 comments:

LoriD said...

"it feels like you are wading in a gemstone" - I love that.

Sara said...

Welcome Home......