Wednesday, September 7, 2011

So long

I have worked at my organization for 8 years alongside two other people (although many other have come and gone). My boss and Martha. I have written about Martha before and how she was kind of a caretaker of sorts. Whenever we would go to lunch, she would drive. She had mad backing-in skills. Once we were driving through an intersection and on the cross street, a car ran the red light and she slammed on the brakes. Saved our lives, practically.

Whenever I was pregnant, she would lend me a few of her loose tops and tell me to bring them back when I was done. They always smelled so good, like Gain. I worried that when I brought them back after wearing them weekly for 9+ months if they would be too worn or smell unGain-ish. We all went to her son's wedding last October. She looked like a fashion model in a floor length, champagne-colored satin gown. Her grandchildren called her Nana.

She and I didn't always get along. There were occasional tense moments and frankly, her communication style used to drive me bonkers. But she was steady, capable. She rarely had anything negative to say. She always found a solution or at least the bright side. She loved salads and always ordered extra dressing. Man, I wish I could go out to lunch with her one more time.

She called in sick last week, complaining of a headache and chills. She never calls in sick. I thought she had the flu. Her husband came home and found her. She had a heart attack and died in her sleep. She and I were conspiring to have a cheesecake dessert bar at our co-worker's bridal shower next week. I guess I will have to try my hand at her recipe.

So long, my friend. I will miss you.

6 comments:

Doing My Best said...

Oh, that is sad =(. She sounds like the kind of person who will be greatly missed!

Swistle said...

Oh, how sad! I'm sorry.

Shalini said...

How terrible and sudden. I'm so sorry.

Emblita said...

That is so sad. I'm sorry too

LoriD said...

It's such a weird, unsettling feeling when someone close, but not related, passes away. So sad.

d e v a n said...

:( So sorry.