I have a co-worker who is about 10 years older than my mother. She makes coffee for us all every morning, which is quite good, and she also knows about my seafood affliction.
What seafood affliction, you ask? Well, I can't have any. Not because I am allergic myself, but because I am surrounded by allergy sufferers. For instance: We go to a restaurant with my parents. I order catfish. Jelly Bean takes a baby carrot off my plate... but doesn't actually eat any fish. When we get home, he kisses his grandma goodbye on the cheek...and she blows up like a balloon within 5 minutes. No, I'm really not exaggerating. (AND this is the woman we just recently convinced to get an Epipen. True Story.)
And then there is my lovely husband who spews from both ends when his Thai Basil Chicken got accidentally contaminated with the Thai Basil Shrimp, unbeknownst to us.
So, no fish or seafood in our house. And apparently, I can't order it at restaurants either. Also, since our family is so limited here, no seafood at holidays either. Just... no seafood, please. So, my lovely New Orleans-born co-worker tries to bring me a bit of the yummy seafoody Southern things she cooks when she makes them at home so I don't feel too deprived. Crawfish Etoufee. Shrimp Creole. MMmmm.
Well, a couple of days ago, she brought in a lovely creamy soup and it was really yummy. It reminded me a whole lot of Copeland's Crab & Corn Bisque. I asked for the recipe and thought I would share as it is nice for the cool weather that is just starting to roll in here. It seems pretty quick and easy, too, even for a weeknight. And maybe you can help me figure out what other protein I could put in there to make it for my family.
Ingredients:
Large pot
1/2 stick butter or margarine
1 onion, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
2 lbs peeled shrimp - if large cut in half
1 26 oz can cream of mushroom soup
1 12 oz can evaporated milk
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can cream style corn
1 or 2 cans chicken broth depending on desired consistency
1/4 - 1/3 cup sugar, to taste
Salt and pepper (or Tony's) to taste
Crabmeat, optional
Melt butter; saute' onions and bell pepper
Add shrimp; saute until pink
Add remaining ingredients except sugar, stir thoroughly after each ingredient is added
Add salt, pepper and sugar to taste
Simmer about 30 minutes.
You can also add small cubes or chunks of potato and simmer until potatoes are cooked. Freezes well!
4 comments:
Mmm.
I ate an embarrassing amount of White Cheddar Cheez-Its at playgroup yesterday because we never have them in the house. Yeah, they were the snack for the kids; what's your point?
That sounds delicious. Maybe you could do it with the potatoes and some cubed, cooked chicken?
That sounds SO GOOD! Nobody but me would eat it though. Booo.
I bet my DH would love this soup. I will have to try it. Hope all is well with you!
Post a Comment