Wednesday, December 15, 2010

No one wants to read this shit...

Well, it's been a month and I would like to thank the world for my "Most Unresponsive Blog-type Person" award. It has been duly earned.

Life has been a series of twists and turns of the unpleasant sort. But good stuff, too. There's always the happy bits that make life bearable. Like cute kids and a great husband and a roof over one's head.

Anyway, at the end of October, we lost one of the incomes from our two income household...which, of course, was the much much larger one. Goodbye 60% of our money! We...well. We will miss you. We still do. Feels like a lot of the charm has been sucked out of our charmed life. I try to be patient with my husband. It is not his fault and he feels terrible, I can tell. But it's just shit. No one to blame, really. Contracts come and contracts go...and we are done with contracts, hopefully. Anyway, it is a craptastic time of year to be looking for work unless you want to shuffle cheap Chinese crap at the DollarTree. (No hating, really. I love the DollarTree.) So, many positive interviews, many headhunters/recruiters, etc. later, and we are still on one income. Folks are just 'waiting for the New Year' or some bull like that. At least, that is what I am crossing my fingers for.

We managed to put together a decent Christmas for the kids, which is good. Honey and I both got a little something from each other as well. A very small little something, but oh well. I told him that we could have a really nice Valentine's Day this year if he wanted. Honey likes toys more than I do but I think it is bothering him that I am not letting him buy for me this year. It's just stuff. We need other things more. And I did do some shopping earlier in the year, which took care of a lot of people. Now I just have the nieces... and I need to ship stuff. Gah.

I still wanted to do a little something for teachers/day care providers/neighbors so I tried my hand at making Candy Cane Fudge. OMG! I have never made fudge before but it is so freaking easy, I can scarcely believe it. 1.5 bags of chocolate chips, a can of condensed milk, a splash of peppermint extract (which I am sure I have on hand due to Swistle) and vanilla, and voila! Fudge! Beat the ever loving bejesus out of some candy canes and squish the broken chips into the top of the setting fudge. Yum-O. And I don't even like fudge.

Tomorrow is our annual luncheon for work and we do a Dirty Santa ornament exchange, which is always fun. Until I took one last look at my beautiful glass Christmas bulb, hand painted with a snowman and stars, and noticed a crack. Oh for the love of Pete. So now I have to go buy a new, non-cracked one, by tomorrow. And Baby has a Dr. appointment this afternoon. And I need containers for fudge. And a social worker from some other state has decided that I need to help her set up her library. Tomorrow morning. And Skeleton Crew starts soon, which means I get nearly two paid weeks off to spend trying not to lose my temper with my sweet young children as Christmas comes and goes.

Anyway, life is busy, work is busy. Things will be different in 2011, but sometimes change is good. Sometimes you have to rise from the ashes, you know?

3 comments:

Jess said...

Ugh. Being on one income sucks. I feel like I shouldn't complain about it since it was totally our own choice, it's not like Torsten got laid off, but it's frustrating. Especially when Christmas comes and you realize you can't justify buying gifts for each other or anyone else. Sigh.

d e v a n said...

I'm sorry to hear about the income loss. :( That reallllly sucks. MUCH luck in hubs finding a new job!

Swistle said...

_I_ do! _I_ want to read this!

I'm really sorry about the job loss; that sucks. I hope this turns into one of those stories you can tell later where it's like, "But it turned out it was the best thing to happen to us, because then he got the job of his dreams at twice the pay!" Then you can laugh merrily.