In the middle of the class, I knew I was never coming back. I was so so glad I insisted on paying the one time class fee (when an employee to pay actually showed up). The instructor was fine and complimentary, saying that I seemed very familiar with the dance steps even though it was my first time. (I used to hang out in Salsa clubs in my youth...) If there might have been 5 more people in the class, I might have come to a different conclusion. Maybe. One thing I didn't like was that I felt like the whole purpose of the class was simply to keep me moving for 45 minutes, which I could do with little difficulty. I barely broke a sweat and didn't need to shower when it was over. I missed my belly dancing class which I felt like taught me something to remember. That I could go the next week and say, "Look! I can do this now! Last week I couldn't, but I am getting better." Progression, if you will.
This less-than-positive experience had me start looking around for another real dance class. Lo and behold, a notice on FB stated my old dance instructor was coming back into town and was doing workshops. I went to one on Thursday night and I am so so glad I did. In a way, it felt like I had never left. I am a bit out of practice, but was able to hold my own despite not dancing for nearly 2 years. (Jeez, 2 years?!?) Anyway, one of the more advanced students is having classes once a week. I wrote her a check and am excited to go next week. Also, this morning, while I am not hobbling or anything, I can feel some soreness in my arms and back (I am not used to holding my arms up so much anymore...) This just makes me feel even better about my decision.
So I am glad I went to the crappy class! It showed me what I didn't want and set me towards pursuing what I DID want. And I guess that alone was worth the $10.
5 comments:
Whoa, you are overwhelmingly upbeat about such a crappy outcome! I would come to the opposite conclusion, like EXERCISE BAD NEVER DO AGAIN. (I'm working on it.)
Hooray for you!!
Ha ha---I might have been with ssm!
YAY!
Oh I am glad to hear your old instructor is back. It makes a huge difference to your regiment to actually enjoy and feel challenged by your workout :)
Post a Comment