When I say Jello, this is what I mean. No descriptors need apply. Capital J-e-l-l-o. I just ate a giant slab of it and I am so sure you wish you were me. This Jello is so powerful, Thanksgiving really won't happen unless it is made. *Poof* Last Thursday in November = GONE.
Now, a word of warning: This recipe contains cheese. If it oooges you out too much, just leave it off. But it gives such a nice texture and savory pairing to the sweet cream topping, you will be totally missing out. Also, you are strictly verboten from calling it Jello. Come up with your own name. No cheese? No Jello. The great and powerful Oz has spoken...
Jello
1 can apricots
1 can crushed pineapple
1 6 oz orange jello box
2 c. boiling water
1 c. combined fruit juices (from canned apricot/pineapple, may need to add just a bit of water to make this come out to a full cup.)
1 bag mini marshmallows
Dissolve jello in hot water and add 1 cup of fruit juices. Combined juice and water = 3 cups. Add pineapple and roughly chopped apricots. While jello is liquid, add mini marshmallows until there is a single layer over the top. They float! Refrigerate overnight. I use a rectangular tupperware container that is a bit smaller than a 9x13 baking dish.
Topping
1/2 c. sugar
3T flour
1 egg
2T butter
Tub of cool whip
1 c. combined fruit juices (from canned apricot/pineapple. NO WATER. Just Juice. Please.)
shredded cheddar cheese
Combine sugar, flour, egg, and juice in a small pan. Boil stirring continuously until pudding-like thickness. Add butter and stir until melted. LET COOL to room temperature and mix with tub of whipped cream. Taste. Die.
Spread topping all over set jello. Then, sprinkle on about a cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Cut into squares! Serve!
Just one more thing. Do you know what is awesome for making Jello or any other kind of jello? The Keurig. Hello, instant hot water, baby! Nice. Tell me if you decide to make this, ok? Or if you think I am monumentally bonkers. Either way, really.
3 comments:
You had me until the sprinkle of cheese on top. My mom used to make something like this quite a bit, except it was in a bowl. You would just scoop it out - cutting it into squares makes so much more sense. However, this SHOULD NOT be on the dinner table - it is clearly a dessert. My mother and I always had this (friendly) argument. She called it Jello Salad, therefore it went with the turkey, stuffing and potatoes (blech). :-)
How important is the topping? Could you just, say, put the marshmallows on it and then eat it? Or let a small boy eat it, for example?
Well, sure you could leave off the topping. I have made other jello flavor, fruit combinations and just put the marshmallows on top and let it set. But it is not THIS dessert.
I am partial to the fruit custard flavor, but you might consider at least putting a dollop of cool whip on the top.
Jello & Cool Whip = BFF 4eva.
(Yes! Lori, it IS a dessert.)
Post a Comment