Gratutitous pictures of lovely boys...
(I'm pretty sure I told him he wasn't allowed to get this big...)
(Don't let the angelic face fool you...)This morning, I did something I have been trying to do for years. The situation is not completely ideal, but there are positives. I finally finally found a CSA to join. The less than ideal parts? It is not organic. But I am accepting this because a) it is the only CSA within 30 miles of my home and b) local produce has less pesticides used than produce shipped in to the stores. It was also more expensive than I would have liked, $25 a week. I am also looking forward to bringing my kids to the farm to show them where our vegetables will be grown. Really excited about that one. Do you know that I love farms? I do.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a farmer. I like the idea of fields and growing and canning and livestock. Would I like the actual experience of all that work? I gravitate towards "no." I feel tired constantly. Maybe if I didn't have a day job and we didn't live somewhere that it gets to be 100+ degrees in the summer. Maybe. I don't know how it would pan out in real life. I putter around in my own yard a bit, but the whole three-kids-husband-job-thing kind of gets in the way.
Do you know that I gave Jelly Bean his own garden this year? Mostly to keep him out of mine. He has all kinds of things growing in there. Radishes, beans, broccoli. It is all willy nilly. I try to teach him to weed, but it doesn't really seem to be sinking in. And he would still rather mess in my gardens than his own. Sigh.
Speaking of my garden, things aren't going fabulously at this point in time. I think this is because I tried to go the cheap route and didn't buy any topsoil to amend my clay with. Also, I did not put the compost in because, frankly, it is not done cooking yet. I was lazy about composting when I was pregnant and we also got rid of the bunnies (compost fodder making MACHINES). I should probably do something about this. But, am tired. See above.

5 comments:
BUNNIES MAKE COMPOST? This is a selling point.
Paul is planning a WAY BIGGER garden this year. I think he is getting in over his head, but that's what I thought LAST year and I had tomatoes and green beans and green peppers to alleviate the discomfort of being wrong.
I love seeing pictures of the boys.
Beautiful boys!
Those handsome boys... oy! I've never had much success with gardening. I blame it on our short growing season, but it has much more to do with my lack of attention to such things.
I love the pictures of those boys!! Brother is such a grownup already.
We are still in the planning phases of our garden and we can't plant here until May-ish, but I'm starting to get excited. I've been a huge slacker with my compost though too.
Look at those gorgeous boys!!!
I am also always tired. My house is a mess. And last year my garden sucked because I didn't have the time or the energy to do it right.
Post a Comment