Thursday, March 3, 2011

Confessions

Devan had a great post today about being imperfect. In a move of solidarity with all of you who may be less than perfect, I shall make some confessions as well:
  • We've lived in our house for 6 years. I have vacuumed my bedroom exactly twice and boy, can you tell.
  • My laundry room has a back door in it and the clean clothes get stepped on and piled up. We just shake them off and put them on. No folding necessary.
  • I have a really hard time giving my children equal 'face time'. Someone, usually Jelly Bean, always gets left out.
  • I have grand dreams, (clean house, well groomed yard) but am too lazy to make that happen. So I fuss at my husband to make what I want come true, so I don't have to do it.
  • I worry that I am such a crappy mom that my children will grow up to hate me...or become Republicans.
  • I let my children eat far too much sugar...sometimes I wonder if they have eaten anything even marginally nutritious all day.
  • I don't make my kids do chores.
  • I am so good at identifying a problem and creating a solution. I SUCK at follow through.
  • I have terrible fashion sense. I worry people look at me the way I looked at my mom when I was a kid. Like, "what is she thinking???"

The idea of embracing all this feels oogey to me. I'm not proud of any of it. While perhaps not in the spirit of coming together in all of our imperfections, I am going to list some good things about me so I feel better.

  • I am very creative and good with my hands. I am a good crafter and a good cook.
  • I can make up songs off the top of my head. Mostly silly ones to sing to the kids. When I am happy, I sing loudly.
  • I laugh loudly.
  • I try really hard to listen to my kids and be sympathetic to them. I think I am good at this the vast majority of the time.
  • When I get a project at work, it not only gets done, it gets done well. I kick ass at my job. I am passionate about what I do.
  • I cut my kids'/husband's hair and it looks pretty good.
  • I am a pretty good gardener.
  • I am easy to talk to in social situations. I smile a lot. While I don't usually feel confident, I am excellent at faking it. :)

5 comments:

d e v a n said...

Love it. :)

Swistle said...

I love this post. Affinity increase! If affinity means what I think it means---like, identifying in a positive way that leads to increased affection. ...I'm not sure that IS what it means.

Nowheymama said...

This is great.

saly said...

I have to say that I take guilty pleasure in reading posts like this. So many people give off the “I’m perfect” vibe, so when someone puts it out there and details just how they’re not, it is very refreshing. I worry a lot about my kids hating me when they’re older…but not so much about them being republicans.

I love this post. Maybe I’ll be your sister in solidarity tomorrow.

LoriD said...

I love this! It's my oldest that gets short-changed with face time. She's so well-behaved and independent - I must remember to give her more time.