I was struck with the most odd thing this morning. I am not sure I can convey how new and unusual this feeling is.
We need bread. I have to bake some.
We need yogurt. I have to make it.
Does that sound weird to you? It does to me. Not, "I have to go buy this" but rather, "I have to make this." I guess it is because baking has never really been a necessity (One does not really need cookies or cakes), so it feels new to have to make the daily bread rather than go pick it up at the market. And yogurt. I mean, who makes yogurt? I heard a description once from someone..."I mean, she sews her own clothes and makes her own yogurt..." in an awestruck, slightly incredulous tone.
Today, I can feel how the next few months are going to be. I can imagine picking tomatoes and oregano, parsley and making batches of sauce. I can imagine salads coming from my own backyard. It seems like a story I read once, but never actually thought I would be living.
I am excited.
10 comments:
Look at you go!
How'd it turn out? I suck at making bread but I do actually make my own yogurt. It's good too. lol
Everything is going ok, actually! The bread machine does all the work for the bread (although I still haven't found a decent whole wheat recipe. The recipe I am using has a cup of white flour in it.)
I might try making yogurt cheese out of part of my yogurt this time.
That settles it! I am coming to your house for spaghetti and salad this summer!
It sounds like it would be so fresh and delicious...and healthy!
I am so impressed!
I do have a whole-wheat recipe that doesn't use white flour, but it's not for a bread maker and I don't know if that makes a big difference. We have a bread maker ourselves, and I haven't baked bread in pans for years. (I'm also lazy and buy most of my bread.) I can send the recipe to you anyway if you're interested.
I bought a bread machine to make our bread but I can't figure out how to cut it thin enough! The kids freaked about the different shape, too. It's very satisfying to make your own food though.
How's it going with the yogurt?? I'm curious...I do make bread all the time (and jam, too, in the bread machine - it's awesome and no preservatives), but yogurt - have never tried it.
Heidi
Heidi - I actually have a different machine for the yogurt. I am not sure if that is clear! Got it off of Amazon for $15 American bucks. :)
Wow, you are like Laura Ingalls. If ever I find myself where you are, I expect 3 home cooked and garden picked meals.
You are amazing!!!
This is fantastic!
I've fantasized about doing the same thing... but haven't actually gotten around to anything other than tossing a few onions into the garden. I'll live vicariously through you until I get my act together!
Post a Comment