Jelly, on the other hand, is teething. He doesn't take it very well and bites when his mouth is achy. Also, after the round of antibiotics for the ear infection a couple weeks ago, we are still battling the obligatory oh-someone-is-going-to-get-a-yeast-infection-somewhere gig. Fortunately, my tender bits were spared, but Jelly Bean's booty is red red. The cream the doctor gave me isn't working as well as I had hoped and I am restraining the urge to smear pro-biotic yogurt on his butt. (Think it would work??? I don't know...)
I love staying home and playing housewife. It is novel, I guess, since for most of the week I was conferencing and networking in the Capital. But on this sweet misty morning at the beginning of the world, I feel fine. It is 10:00 AM and I feel pretty accomplished. Want to know what I have done so far?
- Got up and got the kids fed
- Unloaded and loaded the dishwasher
- Did two loads of laundry (one of clothes and one of Brother's bedding)
- Folded a load of towels
- Started my first batch of homemade yogurt in my new yogurt machine
- Baking a loaf of bread in my new bread machine
- Put the Bean down for a nap.
- etc. etc. etc.
I am trying to do a lot more things at home. I got a new cheese making book and that will be my next project. After I figure out how to make a decent loaf of bread.... My whole wheat concoctions could be called more brick and less bread. (So if you have any bread machine whole wheat recipes, send 'em my way...or I just may be relegated to using some white flour). And I am hoping the yogurt goes ok. I like the idea of just buying milk and making my own yogurt, sour cream, and cheese. A lot of our budget goes to dairy products and I found a local milk supplier I am loving. We have tons of strawberry farms around where we live so getting a flat of berries in the summer for about $12 is no issue. And Honey's Granny has over 40 blueberry bushes at her house. So I have already said that we will go in late May, mid June, and early July to pick blueberries to freeze. For yogurt and muffins and the like. It is exciting. I think maybe I had been needing a new hobby. And I can fit this one in, because it is about the stuff I worry about already: What we eat.
Local, Organic, I am trying my best. But I have had some set backs. Like the lovely Roma tomatoes I bought last week. Brother eats so few good things, I hate to not have them just because they are out of season here. So, I fell off the wagon a bit. I did make sure they were from the US at least. And I skipped the golden Chilean nectarines and chose instead the local citrus that is everywhere currently. It is a process. Hopefully in the end, it will make a difference. Wish me luck!
6 comments:
You're more like Susie Pioneer Homemaker. I love everything you're doing. My parents pick strawberries, raspberries and blueberries and buy a giant (10 litre) bucket of sour cherries every summer, then freeze them to eat all year. It's great to do if you have the freezer space.
I used to do bread machine bread, but I think my machine is not working properly anymore, because the last couple of loaves I made (more than a year ago) were total yuck. I'll look up my old recipe (that at one point did work and was good) and send it your way.
Let me know how the cheesemaking goes. That's something I would love to be able to do!
sounds like you're doing lots today! Hope the kids feel better.
Sounds like you had a busy day...and that was all before 10:00??
Hope your son is feeling better!
Wow, I am impressed with your choices...I'm not there yet. Still struggling with getting my kids to eat. period. Can't really start worrying about where things come from yet. But hopefully soon.
Hope your kids feel better soon!
Heidi
Yay for you! Making your own cheese totally intrigues me. I hope Brother is feeling better!
I love mornings like you described!
I sympathize with the trying to do local and organic -- and more things at home. I'm interested to hear how the cheese-making goes.
We buy beef from a farm and just signed up for one of those arrangements where we pay a share of a farm and get some of their produce. Both options are rather expensive, but they ARE local. Right now it's hard to do both organic and local.
Post a Comment