We explored.
(picture of mama and baby removed)
We examined.(picture of brother removed)
There were gallons of blooms still on the tree/bush creations, reaching their loose tight heads for a kiss of sunshine and a visit from a pollinator. But there were also fallen angels among the pine needles......that could be scooped up into a pocket to be sprinkled in our own sleeping flower beds,
They did have camellias for sale, but the price for the five gallon bucket was a little to rich for my blood. Instead we spent much of our visit in thievery. I noticed a seedling smaller than my hand next to a vibrant red bush and tugged its roots from the soil, wrapped them in a maple leaf and placed the plant in my back pocket. I told my Honey how I was like his Granny, who boasts of plucking beautiful plants in her yard as seeds or newborns from this place or another. The new little plant is in a pot now on my front porch. We were not the only ones engaged in this. I saw a man using his pocket knife to saw off a bud of a sparsely flowered, yet insanely purple bloomed bush. I am guessing this is where the seed was hidden?
But on the way out, there was an orange grove where the trees were so heavily fruited, the limbs were weighed down. I glanced out of the back windshield to look for official types and then told Honey to hop and and pick us some oranges. He grabbed three bright orbs before diving back into the car and pulling away. We teased each other and Brother about coming back with pillow sacks in the middle of the night to liberate the trees of their burdens.
When I got home and Brother, with a glint in his eye, talked about how we stole those oranges, I tried to come up with a good reason why we had done it and how it fit into the We never steal rule. I hemmed and hawed and finally told him that it didn't fit. There was no excusing it. And left it at that. I sliced deeply into the colored flesh and we all tasted the sunshine-made-food. It is true. Stolen oranges really are sweeter.
6 comments:
Nicely written. I love the pictures. The flowers are beautiful!
Lovely pictures...but I loved reading about your thievery more. Too funny.
I am assuming these flowers were in hot houses, right? The pictures give the impression that you are outside, which would just be incredibly unfair, considering the snowbanks and chilly weather I'm experiencing right now!
Heidi :)
Sorry, Heidi. I was indeed outside tromping through the greenery in shorts. No winter for us here, really!
I am so jealous of all of your flowers while I am in the barren tundra.
Also, regarding your comment at my place--we generally do "family stuff" but it seemed like recently Hub was eith ED a lot and I was with CA a lot, so we decided to switch it up. Personally, I think it's harder to be with just one kid than it is to have both of them. I wonder if this will change after #3 arrives.
And now I'm craving oranges...
I was there and I was still enraptured by your post!
Ooh, camellias! They bring back memories of a childhood in the Deep South! We actually considered naming a child Camellia and calling her Cammie, but decided it was just a tad too precious.
Enjoyed the post.
Post a Comment