Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Minutiae II

Just some boring junk. Even I am not that interested...

  • Brother's party went fine. In the end, only 8 children showed up and it lasted approximately 2.5 hours. Not bad. I ended up shelling out around $150.00 for the whole deal, so it wasn't nearly as bad as I had anticipated. Only one parent ended up bringing a sibling...so all that stress was for nothing. I feel a bit sheepish.
  • Due to the 'extra' money we had left over, I got a new Crock Pot! Yay! My old one had been a second-hand gift and had died about 6 months ago. It was really a shame because I did use it so often. As fate would have it, our local Wally World was having a 19.92 sale on a 5 qt slow cooker, so I got to get one. I am pleased, but strangely enough, still haven't broken it out to make something melty and delicious. I think this is because I need to go grocery shopping. Hey! Got any good slow cooker recipes?
  • Jelly has been just frantic with energy. Climbing. Hiding. Slipping into the crevice behind the dryer in the laundry room. It is wild. We took him off of the cough medicine the doctor had him on, because we were convinced it was making him more hyper. It does seemed to have toned him down a teeny bit. Hey, we will take what we can get.
  • Jelly Bean's hair was slightly damp when he went to bed last night and he literally woke up looking like Thing 1 and Thing 2 with the wild stick-up-y hair. It was so adorable, I made Honey take a picture and I did not comb it to make it behave. However cute it looked at the house, I was a bit embarrassed when I walked into the daycare this morning because I just noticed the outfit he was wearing looked a little bit too small and the crazy hair. Very unkempt. Sigh.
  • My Honey is sick with a terrible cough and cold. (Brother and I have a touch of the same thing, but Honey is the worst. Guess he got it from the Bean.) He was supposed to stay home today, but worrying about work got the better of him and promptly he was up, showering and shaving and explaining to me why he had to go in. I understand. I have things like that, too. Things I just shouldn't miss because of a little viral discomfort.
  • We have a major school project to do by Friday. Ug. We barely barely have time to do homework, let alone this huge diorama thing. I need to concentrate on getting home early so we can start on it. It is sad. I am sure I have said it before, but Brother goes to school all day and I pick him up pretty early from aftercare. (I bet he is usually there for less than 30 minutes.) Then I let him go home and play for a bit before starting on homework, because it just seems too awful to make him do schoolwork right away. There just aren't enough hours in a day, know what I mean?
  • Today is payday and that means I can go grocery shopping, which I like. I want to try to get us to start eating healthier. And I want a roast to make in my new slow cooker! I think I deserve it.
  • Our yard is really really low and holds a lot of water. We have committed that any money we get back from taxes (Please, please let us not have to pay) is going into building it up so the water stays away from the house and gets the yard dry enough for a swing set that my folks have promised to buy us since last year. I know we should probably put any extra money on the credit cards, but I really want the kids to have somewhere to play. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

7 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

So glad the party went well!

Good luck with the taxes!

Anonymous said...

Hey hun, I'm still here - just can't get motivated to start the blog back up.
And i soooooo hear ya on the homework thing. Ben is way behind. Not that he has any big projects - it's all raltively easy stuff like: "draw a picture of a snowman and write a sentence about it." Or "have someone ask you ten addition questions." But it's so true - there are just not enough hours.
-Becky
PS you can still email me at theflyingmum at comcast dot net.

Saly said...

Hooray for crockpots! I am making pulled pork in mine for Superbowl Sunday....not that I care at all about the Superbowl.

Family Adventure said...

Oh wow...I thought you were expecting upwards of 30 kids? I am relieved for you!

Can't help you with recipes, though. Don't own a crockpot, but am starting to wonder if I am missing out.

Good luck with the yard!

Heidi

Mairzy said...

Party: So glad it went well! And 8 is a good deal more manageable than 30.

Crockpot: Crockpots Rock! (Say that one five times fast: crotpocks rot!) I used to have a good lentil recipe -- lentils never look appetizing but they're actually very tasty -- but I lost it. It involved tomatoes and black pepper. Hmph. So much for being helpful.

Unkempt children: Well, JellyBean sounds adorable to me. Titan wore his jacket upside down to town today, and I didn't say anything because I didn't want to hear whining.

Homework: I have to say, the full-school-day-and-then-homework is a very small, but present, reason why we homeschool. Not to mention the fact that if I don't feel like making a diorama, I just tell the teacher so.

Yard: It's worth it for the swingset!

d e v a n said...

Glad the party went well. Enjoy the new crockpot. :)

LoriD said...

I think the swingset is a really good investment. It's not like you can wait two years to get to it - Brother will be getting out of the swingset age and you'll be kicking yourself for not having done that for him.

The homework thing? We end up doing most of the school work in the morning before they go to school. They're early risers, but that means they are pretty much useless at night. Any projects have to be done on the weekend or we're sunk!