I shamefacedly admit I have never read Kurt Vonnegut. He died today. A dear friend sent me the below link probably because I am a Madame Librarian.
http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/mikeinthenews/index.php?id=129
I believe these words. I too consider myself very patriotic. One of the most patriotic people that I know. I regularly write my congressional leaders about vicitm services, the environment, health issues and civil rights. I have read some of the writings of our forefathers. Enough to know that the America we live in isn't exactly what they had in mind. In the end, I am so proud to be a member of a group, of an instituion, such as the American Public Library, where America still exists. The America that I love. Freedom of Information, Freedom of the people. Freedom.
1 comment:
I recommend the following:
A Man Without a Country
Slaughterhouse Five
Slapstick
Welcome to the Monkeyhouse
and many more. He is fabulous. I even loved when he described eating at a (fictional) Cape Cod restaurant called The Presidential Waffle House, where he got a waffle called a "Caroline" - and a cup of "Joe."
Post a Comment