I work late tonight running a book club, so my morning is mostly just for me. Jelly has to be at camp at a certain time and I don't like to mess with Scooter's nap routine. So, I just got back from the gym. I feel like my muscles are made of jello and I need a nap. Oof.
I really like going to the gym, but it is hard to find the time. We get home at around 5 in the evening. Then there is dinner and playing outside, piano practice and homework soon. Baths. The house and yard are in a permanent state of needing attention. If I drag the kids to the gym in the evening, I feel like I am sacrificing time with them. They have a really nice kids' space that looks like a cross between a McDonald's PlayPlace, a computer lab, and a daycare. Scooter does not love it, but his stint in daycare was so short and home care is very different. The older boys don't mind going in there though. We can and do go to the pool at the gym so we can all swim, but that isn't as satisfying of a workout. It is mostly splashing around with the kids and making sure everyone is ok. I wish I could go 3-4 times a week to work out just for me. They have yoga classes I would like to attend. When we joined, Honey and I really thought it would be an opportunity for us to spend time together. It does seem to make the kids happier when we take turns going though. I do wish Honey and I would take a class or lift weights together. And I guess I could go by myself if I got up at the crack of dawn or went after the kids were in bed.
I suppose that is what everyone struggles with, the Seussian "great balancing act" of finding time for everything.
2 comments:
I got our family a gym membership just after Christmas and we also enjoy the family swims. And this winter we will take the kids to the family drop ins (basketball, badminton). I struggled big time with going to work out for myself. I didn't like going in the evening for the same reason you list. I tried going over my lunch hour but quickly the lunch hour became 1.5 hours plus I hated not have time to relax mid day. Last month I noticed they have a boot camp style class that runs 3 times a week at 6am. I bit the bullet and started going. So far I love it (which makes my 5:30am alarm less annoying) and I go twice a week. I find it funny that the ONLY time I was able to fit in a work out was that early in the morning, but it is working for me.
I remember when I had no kids, I was watching an Oprah show and she was interviewing a mother of 8 kids. The mom said she worked out but she got up at 5am to do it. I remember thinking that woman was insane and why would she do that! I finally get it.
I need to work out completely independent of the kids' and Hub's schedule. That usually means in the very early morning before any of them are out of bed, unless it's Zumba day and that happens in the evening.
You are right, it's quite the balancing act.
Post a Comment