Thursday, July 26, 2012

Fine

You know what I am genuinely curious about? Why people argue about library fines.

Think about it. Free internet access. Air conditioning. Meeting space. Any book in print you can possibly want will be got for you. A decent collection to browse in the building. Books, DVDs, periodicals, etc. Computers for children and adults. Downloadable eBooks and audiobooks. Free access to databases, online test prep for everything from the GED to the MCAT. Free reference services from master's trained information professionals. Programs such as Mommy&Me, storytimes, book clubs, author speakers for ages birth and beyond.

But people honestly get downright hostile over a $0.60 late fee. Ask to see the manager and then argue with her regarding how they would never ever EVER have brought that book in late in 2005. Because they remember everything they did in 2005.

Fine.

6 comments:

Swistle said...

Some of our librarians have gotten scared to ask, I think! I'll KNOW I have a 40 cent fine, and I'll check out books again and again and no one will ask me for it. Finally I'll remember to say, "Oh, and I think I owe you a fine...?" with my change purse out already, and THEN they'll take it from me!

Nowheymama said...

I just think of fines as my donation to the library. :)

Although I did argue when a librarian said I hadn't returned a book and wanted me to pay to replace it. She said it wasn't there; I went and found it on the shelf myself. It was there, it just hadn't been checked in.

Saly said...

Like Sarah, I think of my fines as a donation to the library. I am...uh...kind of notorious for library fines. I'm just glad that I can pay them online with my debit card.

We had the same issue when I worked at Blockbuster. Surely their movies were never late. Even though we ran a report and checked the shelves daily for late items.

I feel for you!

Chantal said...

I have never argued over a fine. People are weird!

Heidi said...

Wow, your library is fancy! Ours, not so much. Small town, small library. It does have free wifi, 2 computers and a really nice helpful librarian and assistants. A few times a year there are various activities there.
When I first moved to VT I started borrowing books from this small library. One day I brought in overdue books and asked the librarian how much I owed. I was shocked when she said "nothing, we are a free library." So I donated money anyways.
I still love the library, even though I love my Kindle too.

d e v a n said...

I don't understand it either. I am a stickler for turning books in on time - I do NOT want to pay fines! (I would never argue about it though)