Monday, January 2, 2012

Big Brother

Alright. So, I know how everyone says, "You're kids are watching you!" Like they are Santa or Jesus on crack or something. But last night, I had a conversation with Brother that kind of blew my mind.

He knows me better than I know myself. Those foibles I have? He recognizes them as intrinsic parts of me. He knows them so well, he is able to poke fun at my foibles. I was genuinely surprised.

I go into his room late last night and he has a desk lamp he has twisted around so the light is indirect to the book he is reading, but is blasting right into the doorway. It is like a miniature sun burning out my retinas. I say to him, "What? Is this some sort of defense mechanism?" And he takes this statement and runs with it...

"Yes. While the bad guy is blinded, I can yell: Murderer! Call the police! Call the Army! Someone call somebody! And then I can throw things at him." (Mimics throwing things at fictitious bad guy)

Me: My, don't you think that is a bit dramatic?
Him: Yes (waggles eyebrows) but I want to be just like you.
Me: What is that supposed to mean? (Red Flag. Red Flag.)
Him: (pretending to read a book, being me)

"What's that noise?"
"Is someone knocking at the door?"
"You better go check."
"Are you sure no one is there?"
"Let's lock it just to be safe."
"Where's your brother?"

I am not sure how to convey how he displayed my general anxiety about the universe, but he did. And then he laughed and I laughed (I was embarrassed/sheepish, mostly). I gave him a great big hug and a kiss and told him he wasn't supposed to notice how neurotic I was because he was supposed to think I was perfect.

He told me I was perfect enough for him. I shut off the light.

Goodnight.

2 comments:

Shalini said...

He sounds like a riot, and also a sweetheart.

d e v a n said...

ha! he's very observant!