My children are addicted to electronics. It is pretty sad. When we are driving home from the sitter, Jelly says, "When I get home, I'm going to play on the tablet!" Not go outside and see his friends. Not run and play in the yard with the gaggle of neighborhood children. No. Stare at a screen. Brother does much the same thing. He has a single friend who seems like a good enough reason to get off of the computer or Wii. Anyone else who comes knocking? Nah. I even had to chase him outside to carve Halloween pumpkins with his dad this past weekend.
I mostly blame Honey for this. We have so many electronic gizmos in our house; at last count we had 9+ ways to connect to the Internet/play Angry Birds. I hate video games (Goddamn smirking pigs!) and would wholeheartedly rather read. And while I have sacrificed and early bedtime for a good story, I wouldn't give up a friend visit for a book.
I am not blameless when it comes to allowing the children too much screen time (which consists of mostly gaming. We don't have cable and there is next to no TV watching in our house. I am not sure if this makes it better...) If they are playing Plants vs Zombies, they are occupied. They are safe. They are happy. I guess it is hard to intervene when there is no ensuing chaos, at least until the electronic devices are forcibly removed.
THEN all hell breaks loose. Jelly didn't go to bed last night well. Dawdling. Not listening. Getting out of bed repeatedly. So he lost the tablet today. (Oh, gee. One of the 9+ ways to play video games. Darn.) He was a weepy mess this morning.
Me: Good morning, sweetheart
Jelly: BWAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
Me: Would you like a snack?
Jelly: BWAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
Me: I love you more than the sun and the moons and the stars in the sky!
Jelly: BWAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! BWAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!BWAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
It was ugly. Anyway, I think we are back to square one which is this: "If you cannot effectively police yourself when it comes to video games, then we shall have to do it for you." And the timer comes out. And we will have to start actively shooing children away from screens or unplugging them and encouraging other stuff. Things will get better for a while and then Honey and I will relax a bit. In probably two months or so, I will be right back here complaining of my children's lack of non-screen time.
Parenting. Sheesh.
7 comments:
It is definitely in the genes, or so I believe. Since we got rid of cable, their overall screen time has decreased dramatically, so I'm currently in a relaxed phase. Talk to me again after the long winter.
I am the same way. Every so often we have detox where they aren't allowed ANYTHING and my idiot husband actively disagrees with this, saying I'm depriving them. But after the 2nd day they've really calmed down and are much more creatively productive and the bickering isn't as bad... mostly it's watching tv that does this to them. For video games I knew if I let them have unfettered access the novelty would wear off eventually, and I got lucky and it did. Now there are just fights over my ipod but it's made clear that it's MINE and I don't always share :)
I hate video games and so does Gregg. We have an Xbox but no tablet and no smartphone and we're all, "Should we?" and then we don't and we're fine and the kids are fine and i put together some damn legos for them instead. I don't think there's anything wrong with gaming (in fact, I think it's a good way to get into computers), but I am sure glad there is one less thing to fight about in the house.
We are very anti-video game in this house. The big kids have their DSi's and they are allowed to play them on long car trips, and once in a while in the house, and that is IT. Playing the Wii or using the computer is a big treat.
They do watch a lot of TV though, and like Jen said, when we ban them from TV for a few days, they go back to being involved in their legos and books and such.
Bud is constantly asking to play Angry Birds on my phone...it's on there but I never even play it, so I don't know why that's in his head.
We started a system after our oldest started spending too much time on the Wii. They can earn coins (plastic pirate coins) for doing good things, chores, doing what's asked... a variety of things... and they can cash in each coin for 10 minutes of Wii/computer time or one cartoon. 2 coins for a movie, 1 coin for 2 extra books at bedtime (we already read 2 or 3) and 2 coins for staying up 10 minutes later.
It's worked fantastic!
My son is addicted too. We limited games/TV, but when he's into it he is gone. I think since he doesn't have any siblings, we're more likely to give in and let him play video games rather than play. At least it keeps him busy for a bit. But in all honestly, I prefer less screen/game time. During the week he's pretty good, because he really doesn't have much time at home anyway. But I think all kids gravitate towards games and things when given the opportunity.
Sorry, that last comment was from me. I meant to comment from this account. Oh well. ;)
Post a Comment