Sometimes I am really amazed at how I change as a person. My 18-year-old self would not even associate with my current self, because my current self is a damn heathen and is most obviously going to rot in hell forever. Even my 25-year-old self would be flabbergasted at how at peace I have become with working outside the home and not being home alllll dayyyy long with the kids. I would have never dreamed that I would be 97% peachy keen with my current situation. And yet, here I am. I told a friend of mine that when Jelly was a teeny baby, it was my dream to stay home with my kids. When she asked, "What about now?" As I was gestating Baby at the time, I said, "Now, I have different dreams."
Even a couple years ago, I took a class and a test and obtained certification to work in the school system as a librarian. I thought I was ready for the change. In the end, the class taught me a really valuable lesson: that I didn't want to work in the school system.
Now I am looking at a different self inflicted change. Something with a little less impact. I am thinking about changing the names of the kids on the blog. Not to their bona fide actual real names, but maybe to names that are more accessible. Names that perhaps maybe reflect gender. Clarifying names as in "I am talking about little people, not gerbils." However, I am still clinging a bit to their blog names, because I actually call the kids these cheesy nick names. Well, sometimes. Jelly gets called Jelly Bean the most. Brother actually gets called Moo-Moo. (*Ahem*) And Baby gets called TeTe (sounds like tea-tea, like the drink, although it has nothing to do with tea. It is actually a shortening of "sweet, sweet" as in "sweet, sweet baby") or Doodles. And I call them all 'Little Bear'. (Jeez, makes you wonder why you pick out a name for a kid when you don't even consistently call them by that name.)
Anyway, there is a poll over there, if you care to help me with my decision making process. And you could tell me what nicknames/baby names you have for your kids. Or! Give me suggestions on what I should rename my kids on the blog. Or just your opinions on the weather. I don't mind.
5 comments:
I don't use my real name or my daughter's real name on my site, mostly because no one in my 'real life' knows I keep a blog. I'd be the one to offend someone on total accident.
I call her "Boo" on the blog. It is her real initials and was supposed to be her real nickname until we just ended up calling her "Woman". (She answers to Woman now better than she does her real name)
Bonus: If you want to know my child's real name it's in a picture I have up on today's entry. I figured that was safe since no one could Google it that way.
I've gotten used to the kids' names, so that I now know which is which---but I am ALL FOR baby-naming!
1. Middle names. Easy to remember. Also, part of their actual name, in case you slip and refer to them that way in a non-blog situation.
2. Near-miss names (ones they were ALMOST named). Satisfying to get to use the names.
3. Names that start with their same initial.
Ooo, I am kind of excited about this!
I didn't vote but just because I like the names you have BUT I've been thinking about renaming my own kids on my own blog (since I just go by initials) so if I vote no you will think I'm a hypocrite and if I vote yes, change, you will think I don't like the names.
it's possible I'm over thinking this...
Oh fun! Some do middle names, others near miss names (I like those ones - like naming your kids twice), still others use character names (you could do My Three Sons - Robbie, Chip & Ernie!) I do find it easier to keep them straight if they're actual names. Still, I'll need a legend at the side (e.g. Robbie = Brother). :-)
My kids are rarely called by their own names in real life, and you know they aren't on my blog. Bud gets called: Buddy, Edster, and Freckles.
Lucy is often called Lucy, or Lu or my favorite, Lula Bee. She just looks like a Lucy to me. I also call her Hazel for her eyes and occaisionally we call her Caito.
Liv is called Hannie, Hanniecakes, or usually just Cakes. We also call her Blondie for obvious reasons. If you ask her what her whole name is, she will tell you that is is Firstname Banana Lastname. If I am talking about her, she is "the baby" even though she's nearly 3.
I also refer to each of them as "baby" regardless of age, as in "I know, Baby..."
I voted for change them all or just change baby, but really, I know who you are talking about, so I don't think it matters. It is fun to rename kids though.
Post a Comment