Monday, April 18, 2011

Guess

Guess who we're going to meet today?


I am mostly excited, but a little terrified, too. I argue with myself.

-I can do this. I can do anything.

But don't I have enough on my plate?

-She sounds like the perfect little dog. Not too big, not yappy, a good breed for families, lives with kids...

You always said the youngest child had to be at least 4 before you got a dog.

-But then Brother will be a teenager. I don't want him to miss out on a childhood because I refused to do anything until there were no babies in the house.

But what if someone is allergic?? (Insert panic attack)

This last one is why we are going to meet the dog, to roll around and play with the dog and make sure everyone gets licked at least once...and then go home and monitor. Should we do this more than once before we agree to take the dog? Well, yes. But I am not sure there will be a timeline for that. Sometimes you have to roll with the punches and I am already consulting Dr. Google about how to keep allergens down. (Although currently, we don't have environmental allergy issues in our family. Just food. For Now. Don't strike me for hubris, Allergy Gods...) Stuff like keeping the dog out of bedrooms and HEPA filters and regular baths. Allergies are the terror of my life. (Did I tell you New Baby had a lovely reaction to blueberry yogurt? I know. I am stupid. WHY DID I GIVE HIM THAT? There is conflicting information. That's all I'm going to say.)

So, is the picture of the cutie dog ruined by my allergy-phobias? I think it might be.

6 comments:

Swistle said...

THIS IS SO EXCITING.

Nowheymama said...

You are VERY smart to not rush into anything, allergy-wise. Giving up K's guinea pig was TERRIBLE--and that was a RODENT.

Shelly said...

SO cute! I'm a big dog person but our neighbors dog sat for a couple of pugs last year and I completely fell in love with the black one. She would lay in my arms like a baby, on her back, and fall asleep, snoring softly.

I'm allergic to dogs and cats. If I interact with either, it's apparent within an hour at most if I'm going to have a reaction (hives, itchy spots, watery eyes). I'm sure it depends on the severity of the allergies but that's how it works for me.

Can't wait to hear how this goes!!

d e v a n said...

Ok. So, this is just my opinion based on nothing but that picture but...


YOU MUST HAVE THAT ADORABLE DOG.

Chantal said...

My DH already promised my boys that we would get a dog when D2 is 3yo. They are counting the days. I hope it all goes well for you allergy wise. Take care.

Emblita said...

Awww what a cutie! Lets hope the allergy test goes well! :)