Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What to Watch?

I am not really a movie kind of person. Or even a TV kind of person.

I like to go to the movies and have the experience of the popcorn, candy, soda, and entertainment. Especially if I can go with someone and we can talk about it afterwards, even if it is just asking the kids, "What was your favorite part? Why do you think the characters did that?" (Yes, I do have an English degree...how'd you guess?)

But sitting down in my living room, trying to carve out a time where there is no yelling or running so I can watch a two hour movie? It just seems too hard. If I wait until the kids are in bed, then I sacrifice sleep because I am not likely to stay up two hours after they are all tucked in. If I try to watch a movie when the kids are awake, there is the constant interruption plus having to make sure it is child appropriate. Which isn't all that difficult for me as I don't like scary, bloody, or even mildly tense movies. (Case in point, that Sherlock Holmes movie had me hiding my face in Honey's shoulder for at least 75% of the film.)

If I were requesting a book at a library, I would ask for something "cozy"(...although I don't really read cozy books all the time. My imagination is safer than someone else's.) By cozy, it is meant that it is essentially rated PG. I think it has to do with lack of desensitization. When I went to church when I was young, there was a lot of push to only put wholesome things into your mind, so I am exceptionally visually sensitive with a very active imagination. Basically, movies feel very real to me. My "this is just pretend" button is pretty much broken.

We also don't have cable and use the Internet to get much of our television, like Netflix, etc. Honestly, the cable bill was just too high. We could pay it...but I don't want to. And we live in a pocket where we can't get the channels with the in home antenna thing. (See how eloquent I am about it? This shows my deep level of interest.)

Anyway, long story short, I have a request. While I am pumping at work, I can watch movies on my computer in small, 20 minute bites. Do you have any suggestions? Due to my...issues, for the past few months, I have watched a LOT of documentaries. (PBS! What could be safer?) But I wouldn't mind a story here and there. What are your favorite movies?

5 comments:

Nowheymama said...

Hmm... what type of cozy movies do you like? Mystery? Romance? ?

Scott and I have pretty much given up on movies because we're so sleep deprived. We use Netflix, etc. to watch TV shows instead. Right now we're watching the first season of "Lie to Me."

Swistle said...

My favorite thing is to watch TV series, because then it's like watching a movie 100 hours long and I can just watch as much at a time as I have time for. I liked both Gilmore Girls and Sports Night (which has nothing to do with sports, which is why the show died after only 2 seasons). I also like to watch the shows of my youth, like All in the Family, and Happy Days.

Emblita said...

Oooh... BBC's Pride and Prejudice
With Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy! Its lovely and not scary :)

Chantal said...

I wish I could help. Even though we have cable I watch no television. If I am not with the kids or cleaning then I am sleeping :)

Chantal said...

although my sister says "Boardwalk Empire" is good (its a tv show I think)