Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Lunch

As Ma Ingalls always used to say, "It's an ill wind that blows no good." One thing about Honey not being employed as of late is that I get a lot of lunch dates. Which is good because I hate paying a sitter on top of normal weekly childcare for us to go out any other time.

Today's lunch at Wendy's was fun. Being with him is always fun. He brought our tray to a table near an older couple (Old folks love The Wendy's, yes?) and then went to go get drinks and ketchup for us, the sweetie-heart. The gentleman asked me if I liked my waiter and I told him, "Oh yes. He's really cute." Needless to say, he got a big kick out of that and chitchatted a bit with us here and there. It was kind of fun because he assumed that Honey and I worked together and weren't married. So he kept telling Honey that I was 'having a good time.' Which I was. I love being with him. He makes me feel all shiny and I am sure it shows.

Honey and I did have a bit of an argument over a reading selection I have to make. I am going to do a reading for Read Across America week for a couple of classes at Brother's school and there are no recommendations on what sort of thing to pick. So I wanted to pick a YA novel that started out pretty quickly. I was thinking of Fablehaven (but I don't think I could get to the fun parts in 20 minutes of reading), Dealing with Dragons (which starts out pretty good, but you don't really get to the dragons in the first 20 minutes), or Percy Jackson (which starts out with a warning...so always an attention getter, but I worry too many of the kids will have read it.) Honey wanted to know why I didn't choose Harry Potter. It starts off quickly, is immediately interesting, and I have read the whole series aloud to Brother, so I have the voices pretty much down.

But I don't want to read Harry to the class. While I lovelovelove the books, I know there is a lot of controversy surrounding the books. Children in my neighborhood are not allowed to read the books. Bringing a controversial book to my son's school does not meet my desired outcomes. I want Brother to be glad I came and not get any flack for it. I want TAP and the school librarian to be glad I came. I don't want any fallout from my visit.

Honey didn't agree with my self censoring. He stated that Percy Jackson and Harry Potter were practically identical (a fact that I concur with). He stated that I was validating crazy philosophies (which I do not necessarily agree with). He said we would have to just agree to disagree and he admitted that if he were in my position, he probably wouldn't choose to rock the boat either. I am of the opinion that it is not my place to wage war. I am not the librarian. I do not get to choose what is in the collection or develop their challenged materials policy. I doubt they even have a collection development or challenged materials policy. You pick your battles, you know?

Anyway, engaging conversation, cute guy, decent food and I made an old man's day. I think it was a pretty awesome date.

3 comments:

LoriD said...

Sounds like the perfect date! I couldn't agree more that you should steer clear of anything controversial, for Brother's sake if nothing else.

d e v a n said...

Aw, sounds like a nice date. Good call on HP (which I LOVE) if you ask me. I wouldn't do it either; too many people get their panties in a wad too easily.

Chantal said...

I love lunch dates with my DH. I wish we worked closer together so we could do them more often.

HP is controversial? I haven't read them yet (gasp, i know, LOSER) and I haven't kept up on the news :)