Monday, June 28, 2010

Weekend News

We worked our tails off this past weekend. Well, mostly Honey, but I did some stuff too. Who are these alleged women with tons of energy at the end of their pregnancy for "nesting"? I swear to high heaven, all I had to do was step outside my barely air conditioned house and need to sit down. The oppressive "feels like" 109 degree heat hits you like a ton of bricks. My body feels like I am carrying around 200 extra pounds instead of the meager 30. Anyway, Honey did a lot of work. He mowed the lawn. He mulched the flower bed. He worked on creating the window sills for the addition. He ran errands and purchased necessities. He told me to sit down and encouraged me to watch Kim Possible reruns on Netflix with the kids. He told me I *was* helping, when really, I wasn't. My, isn't he great?

We didn't get everything on the list done. The window sills and a few other pieces of necessary trim still need to be painted and installed, but I am not worried about it. It will get done by Saturday evening. The reason for the timeline? We are having a photographer come to the house to take maternity/family pictures. I tried to focus on getting just a couple of spaces ready/photographable. So, I picked our front porch, our new living room, and the nursery. (Lordy, I hope these are good choices. I don't really know what to expect.) Why go through this mess when I could I have just went to a studio? Well. I'm not really interested in studio photographs. I wanted something a little more real and a little less posed. And I have always wanted to do maternity photographs, but it is especially important to me this time because it is the last.

I was thinking of doing white shirts and jeans. I am not opposed to showing my belly. This is the prettiest it has ever been when I am pregnant. I have no stretch marks! WHY IS THAT? Usually my stomach is so covered with angry red stripes, it looks like some sort of weirdly shaded tiger print. Seriously, when I was pregnant with Brother, my OB glanced over at my tum and literally said, "Wow. Those are the worst stretch marks I have ever seen." Yeah. But! I am stretch mark free. (So strange...)

I am looking for pictures that reflect family and motherhood and not so much "Britney in a mink coat and nothing else". I can't really say I understand the whole "let's make our pregnant bodies look like a photo shoot from Pl**boy". Really? Really? I mean, there is a little baby in there. A sweet innocent beautiful child. I don't want to see how you GOT pregnant. I think it is good to be body positive and to feel confident and capable when you are gestating. (And even when you are not gestating.) But not so much the naked picture thing. It just doesn't seem tasteful. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

Anyway, this weekend: Pictures! At my house! (Yet another thing I orchestrate that makes me ask myself: What were you THINKING? But...here we go.)

Weekend After: Baby Sprinkle! Anyone want to volunteer to clean my house?

4 comments:

Jess said...

These pictures sound like fun, and I think you have a great concept for them. I'm sure they'll turn out fabulously!

Saly said...

I always get small bursts of energy at the end of pregnancy, but always get too worn out to quick to make any real progress. With Bud my nesting involved sitting on the floor and putting together all the baby gear myself while Hub was at work. And with Lucy—I don’t think I nested at all. She was 2 weeks early, and we didn’t even have the bassinette ready when she came home. And with Liv it was the baseboards. I scrubbed and vacuumed all the crevices—it was insane—but it was something I could sit down and do.

I really hope you’ll share the photos—if not with the whole blog universe, with me. :)

d e v a n said...

pictures! yay!!You must show us.

Chantal said...

Oh I hope you post at least one photo (or e-mail me a link...) :)

I have found myself wanting professional photos too, also because I know this is the last baby!

I hope your sprinkle went well! Hugs to you!