Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Do the Right Thing

Did you know that Jelly Bean has three babies in his belly? They are going to come out of his bellybutton when he goes to the doctor for "delivery". Their names are Luke, Seth, and Will. One of these is actually the baby that is in *my* belly, so Jelly carries him around for me for a while. (Don't I wish...) One day last week, I was informed that one of the babies was a cow and would drink milk from his mommy's breasts. And please don't confuse Jelly Bean with becoming a 'daddy' soon. He is adamant that he is going to be a 'mommy' just like me.

I am glad he is finding a way, albeit imaginative, to feel like he is part of the growing family, but I am a bit concerned at the line between pretend and reality. Right now I just go along with whatever he says without supporting or dissuading him. I just hope that is the right thing to do.

Brother has not been particularly supportive in any way, shape, or form since right around January. His last report card was quite upsetting and he is therefore, required to do practice schoolwork every day this summer. Of course, he hates me for it. And of course, I really don't care how he feels about it. I would hire a tutor to help him a bit (even though it is a motivation issue, not a lack of knowledge issue) but am having the darnedest time finding one during the summer. I could pack him off to one of those fancy learning centers, but they are exceptionally expensive and I can't see justifying the cost...at this point. Things might change.

He is going to Ohio with my parents next week. I think it will be good for him to get away from me and me away from him for a few days. It makes me feel awful to want a break from my own kid. I know I will miss him. I already miss him in more ways than just him being absent. We used to have time for reading and movies, but now it is just me asking him to do a minuscule amount of practice work and him emphatically refusing and therefore effectively grounding his self. Sometimes I wish someone else would come along and parent him because I am doing such a crappy job. Crossing my fingers and toes that this is just a phase.

Honey is talking about career moves again. While he is really successful, all this jumping about gives me motion sickness. I want him to be happy and so I am supportive. I just hope this won't blow up in our collective faces. I hope whatever we decide, it is the right thing.

3 comments:

Jess said...

Jelly Bean is three, right? This sounds like totally normal imagination play/way of processing important information to me. I mean, I'm no expert, but this does not sound like an area of concern for me.

Good luck with Brother! I hope the trip to Ohio helps him. And good luck with the career decisions. I know it's tough to juggle all these big questions at once. I know you guys will figure out what's right for you, though.

Swistle said...

If you are taking votes, it sounds to me you're doing the right thing on every topic where you're the one making a decision. And about the career-move thing, I get reallllllll risk-averse when I'm pregnant. I want everything to STAY PUT.

d e v a n said...

Yes, you are doing well. You just hang on!!! And I'm the same way as Swistle. I do not like risk taking when I'm pg.(well, really, anytime.)