Last week was dreadful. It was so so hard. Why, you ask? Because....
Dum dum da DUMMMMM!
Honey was on a business trip. For 8 effing days. (Grumblegrumble*explicative*Grumble) And there was no one to help shoulder the burden of play practice and homework and the-inexplicable-three-year-old-who-does-not-sleep-through-the-night.
You know how they say that a husband/father should take the kids for the weekend and then will begin to appreciate how much the wife/mother does? I think this works just as well when the shoe is on the other foot. Because, let me tell you, I am so much more grateful for every little thing my husband does this week than I was two weeks ago. Before, I'll admit, I would get into fits where I felt like I did everything and he didn't do a darn thing. I pay the bills! I cook the dinner! I get the kids to school and home again every. single. day!
Ok, so that may be true. But do you know what I don't do? The dishes. Or take out the trash. Or roll it to the end of the driveway. And I rarely handle baths. Most of the time, bedtime stories and pjs for Jelly Bean are handled by Honey. He also puts dinner away (not that I really cooked more than Spaghetti O's and grilled cheese while he was gone), does at least half of the laundry, and cleans up the rabbit cage because my pregnant self can't hack it. And hundreds of other tiny things. Like gets me socks when my feet are cold and brings me a cup of water before bedtime.
I missed him terribly and got the terrible paranoia that maybe he wasn't coming home. Maybe something too terrible for words would happen and I would be all alone and taking care of not two but three children all on my own. And then I would cry and lay all the pictures on the bookshelf flat because I couldn't stand to look at his beautiful face while he was miles and miles away. I'm hormonal. Leave me alone.
But! He's back! And I am so so grateful to have such a wonderful man in my life. I hope this lesson sticks and the next time I feel overwhelmed I remember that it could be so so much worse.
4 comments:
I haaaate it when Scott has to travel for work.
Oh you make me laugh. I remember when Hub had to go to California for his best bud's wedding, something like 3 weeks after Liv was born. I was certain it was all an elaborate scheme to be done with me and the 3 kids for ever. Then when he called every day and seemed to be excited to come home, I was sure soemthing terrible would happen and he wouldn't make it home. Aaaah, fun times.
Glad your sweetie made it back to you.
Phew! glad he's back!
So glad he's back! And I think that is an important lesson for all of us. Think about what wouldn't get done if the partner weren't there. Of course, Torsten traveled for business fairly often and while it created a bit more work for me, it wasn't bad at all. But I'm sure once we have kids it will be different.
Post a Comment