So, I am kinda sad.
We are building an addition to our house and Honey and I know n-o-t-h-i-n-g about building stuff. So our contractor, who is a friend of mine and is cutting us a huge deal, has a lot of education to do with us. But now, due to many questions and changing of the minds on the part of people who don't want to pay X for Y (that would be US), I can feel him getting frustrated. :/ He tells me that each change I make requires him to basically go back to the drawing board. I am sad about this.
I don't want him to be frustrated, but still want to retain my right to say: What would it cost to put another vent in the family room OR Why on God's Green Earth does it cost $400.00 to install a countertop that costs $68.00? Oh! Or this one: Why do we have to add an additional $400.00 for the subcontractors to pick up their own trash and carry it to the dumpster?? Which is another $600.00.
And apparently, we are getting a deal? So I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth? Bah. It is frustrating and makes me anxious to the point where I feel like maybe I might throw up my hands and say, "Charge me anything! I'll pay it! Just don't be mad at me for being stupid!"
Of course, I won't. But the urge is there.
While we couldn't afford the addition if he were to be actually charging us for the general contracting work and not getting us the materials for cost and I am so totally grateful...(Although, did I mention that whenever I *do* try to thank him for giving us this 'gift' he brushes off my comments and tells me to thank him when it actually gets done.) Anyway. Am sad and confused and unsure. And hormonal, which doesn't help.
I wish we could get this show on the road, but apparently? I am the reason for the delays.
6 comments:
Oh, I'm sorry you're feeling this way. It sounds to me like there are a lot of unexplained things cropping up and that's why these questions keep arising. Is there a way that you can sit down with someone and walk through everything all at once and be very clear about what will go where and how much it will cost to do it and exactly what options you have? It sounds like if you could all get on the same page then work could start and people would stop blaming you for asking reasonable questions and making you feel sad.
Good luck!
Even if you are getting a deal, you're still paying for the renos, so don't feel bad about asking questions. You don't want your friend to be frustrated, but you also don't want to spend the next 10 years wishing you had asked the right questions and ended up with the reno you really wanted.
Ugh, that sucks. I hate dealing with contractors, even good ones, as I'm sure your friend is!
Oh, stressy and sad!
And also, I like your new photo.
Renovations are stressful under normal circumstances, add pregnancy and a friend doing the work and the stress level skyrockets. I agree with Lori, you have a right to get the job you want. When will the reno be done?
Oh, the stress! But, YAY! Addition!
Post a Comment