I am pretty steamed up right now.
I went to the library to get Brother "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing" by Judy Blume. (We just finished the Percy Jackson series. Loved. And now it is time for something new.) While the OPAC indicated the books I was looking for were in, they were not on the shelf. Ok. No problem. That happens in the Juvenile section with kids reshelving books at random places. So, I go ask for help. I went to school for two years to get a master's in librarianship! I know that the library workers are there to help. I can ask them questions and not be intimidated! *Ahem* After telling the elder woman that the books I was seeking was in the catalog but not on the shelf, she still spent a good 5 minutes on the computer making sure I wasn't feeding her a line.
Then, she led me to a back room full of just piles of paperbacks that needed to at least be ordered as they were all fiction, but not in the system, to see if there was a copy. She expected me to DIG through a room of books! Pfft. Look lady, I don't have time for this. I am on a quick break from work!
Someone had been working on it at one point...a volunteer. I am not satisfied with the status of my local library system and was looking to get involved in some way and before I could add up all my other responsibilities in my head of all the stuff I should be doing, I blurted out that I would be willing to volunteer to help get them in order and SHE TOLD ME NO.
I am a fucking LIBRARIAN, yo. Scandal. Am highly put out. When you show a patron a huge mess and they offer to clean it up...do you say no? Of Course NOT. Do I look like I can't alphabetize by author last name? Really? I really want to call someone and yell...but I won't. Because you catch more flies with honey. I just need to figure out how to sweeten this situation.
5 comments:
Gosh that sounds annoying! I would be mightily miffed myself, and I'm not even a librarian.
A little politeness goes a long way... that lady needs to read a book on that :)
If you figure it out, let me know. Every mother I know in our town has problems with our library and the death grip the children's librarian (who has no degree) has on programming. She won't let my librarian friend help, either. LET PEOPLE HELP! *pant* *pant*
Yeah, you touched a nerve.
Sarah/Nowheymama
Jebus! She won't even accept help! Ack!
I wish I had some idea of what you could do. My brain is fried today. If I think of anything I will let you know.
Sometimes little old ladies are little old jerks. That's what makes it okay for you to be crotchety when you get old too, I figure.
Post a Comment