Then, about 6 months ago, I had this amazing epiphanal moment when I went to a Pet Superstore with a friend who was bringing in a cat she was fostering to see if it could be adopted... and they had other shelter animals there for adoption, too. There was this teeny smokey grey and white kitten with bright blue eyes who could have fit into the palm of my hand practically. He was mewing and scaling his cage to get to me. I named him BabyCat and he loved me. It was a brief (less than 3 minutes) yet passionate connection. If it weren't for terrible cat allergies in my family, I would have brought him home that very second. And I am not an animal person. Really. But he had tugged so much on my heartstrings. So, after that I decided to start looking into a pet I could have, rather than mourn a little blue-eyed kitten I could never have. That is how we came upon the bunny idea.
They are mostly hypo-allergenic, not noisy, only really active at dawn and dusk. Perfect for our busy family. We got our bunnies from a rabbit rescue and they were already altered when they came to us. So, no baby bunnies! I am pretty excited about them. Have I mentioned I am not much of an animal person? But these are working out so well. They don't make noise. They use a litter box which the litter is compostable. They are inexpensive to maintain. (The initial upstart fee is always a killer, but that is true with just about any pet.) Did I mention they are kinda cute?
This is Simon.
And this is Dixie.
They are a bonded pair, which means they are best best friends and can't be separated. But this also means that they can play with each other and comfort each other if there are evenings when we are unavailable to play with them. They hate Jelly Bean, but that was going to be the case for any furred creature living in our home. But they are warming up to Honey and me nicely...especially after Jelly's bedtime.If you wanted to know more about house rabbits, the House Rabbit Society has a great informative website.
5 comments:
I had a wonderful little bunny when I was younger. She was so smart and would follow me wherever I went, even for walks outside. Yours are really cute.
cute!!!
I love this WHOLE THING. ALL of it. The bonded pair thing especially. My children would hit the MOON'S ceiling if I got a pair of bunnies, and don't tell them I'm considering it when they're all a little older.
When I was younger, I had friends who had an outdoor mesh-bottomed bunny pen they could put the bunnies in on nice days, so the bunnies could mow/fertilize the lawn square by square.
I'm filing this idea away, too. Just one week after getting her pet guppies, K. is already asking for a pet she "can hold in her hands."
awe, how sweet!
Post a Comment