Friday, February 6, 2009

Alice in Review

Last night, I took Brother to see a local middle school production of Alice in Wonderland. The reason I wanted to go is because I had heard some of the cast members talking on the local radio station about the play and how it had professional costumes and effects.

I was actually impressed with the production. The performance was smooth. The costumes were really great. The vocals...were middle school kids, so that was less impressive. But it wasn't grating. It was just alright. There was decent comedic timing and it was held in our relatively nice local theatre. Oh, and we also had good seats. We made sure to clap after all the songs and I checked up on Brother in the next seat. I never saw him without a smile on his face. He was never missing those bright shiny eyes of a child immensely enjoying something. Mind, he did play it off when we left and I asked him if he liked it. I got the classic little boy shrug and a "yeah, it was good" and that's about it.

But I am so glad I took him. It felt like a teeny every day banal triumph to me. I enjoyed it, but mostly I enjoyed being able to take him to the same theatre where we saw the philharmonic in December and showing him what kids can do. I want so much experience for him, so much culture for him. And I am willing to look in less-than-obvious places to do it.

3 comments:

LoriD said...

Sounds great. The Sound of Music is playing in Toronto right now and I'm anxious to take Lisa. I've been told that the children in the production are just awesome and all the little kids who go are truly inspired.

We've got the school's opera coming up in April. Considering the oldest kid in the production is only 12 years old, it's surprisingly entertaining and well done.

d e v a n said...

fun!!

Chantal said...

Thats a great idea. I need to do that with my kids. I don't think my taking D to see High School Musical on ice counts ;)