Monday, December 22, 2008

Busy

It's Christmas/Hanukkah week, ya'll! Damn, I sound like Paula Dean.

I really need to figure out what I am doing. I need two more shrink wrap bags to finish the gift baskets. Then I need to contact friends to schedule time to bring said gift baskets. THEN I need to figure out what I am cooking and when I am cooking it. Honey wants me to make kugel again this year and I wanted to try my hand at matzo. Not that I know what the heck to do with matzo... Of course, we will make latkes and eat lots of fried food. Oh so yummy and terrible for the waistline.

The boys really loved their presents for the first night of Hanukkah last night. Brother got some new books, so I let him stay up late reading. I am eager to encourage this along with anything else that is not a video game. Sheesh. I feel like I might need to start putting a limit on 'game time'. There's a battle I really don't want to fight. Of course, I will if necessary. I would prefer to offer him so many tasty alternatives, that I won't have to force the issue.

My mother decided that for the very first time in 28 years, she is going to volunteer to work on Christmas day. Needless to say, I am a little pissed. She works for basically minimum wage but is saying that she isn't getting enough hours at work and therefore needs to work Christmas. So we have no plans for Christmas day at all. Perhaps I should be glad, but really, I just feel a little lonely. And confused.

See, they are going to come over the day AFTER Christmas for "Christmas Dinner". So...what do I do for Christmas day? Two elaborate meals two days in a row? Gah. I really don't like that option, but don't feel like cheating my family out of a Christmas dinner on Christmas day simply because my mother wants to make $100.00. To top it all off, we are getting a new bed delivered Friday and therefore I have to switch our bed to Brother's room and Brother's bed to Jelly's room, as Jelly has learned to climb out of the crib and it is Big Boy Bed Time.

So much going on. So glad I have the week off!

5 comments:

d e v a n said...

Enjoy your week off! Sorry your mom isn't going to be with you for Christmas this year.

Swistle said...

Oh noes about dinner! I don't know what I'd do, either. Seems funny to serve them leftovers, but OMG making two dinners! Maybe leftovers but all festived-up. Like, put in new, smaller bowls so the bowls look full instead of half-scooped. Or whatevs.

Chantal said...

I don't think I could handle cooking two dinners. I agree with Swistle. Left overs, done up. That should do. I am glad to have some time off too. I need it badly. Take care and Happy Hanukkah/Christmas to you and your family!

Nowheymama said...

Wow--may I come over for dinner?

LoriD said...

I'm growing a video game addict here too (Bart) - it just kind of snuck up on me, so rules will need to be imposed at some point.

I think you could do fancy leftovers on day 2. Maybe introduce a different side dish and dessert, but make enough of the basics on day 1 to cover both days.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hannukah to you and your family!