Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Won't You Please?

Please, won't you, please?
Please, won't you be...my neighbor.

Hi, Neighborhood of Bloggy Friends! I need some help figuring out better ways to cook delicious things for my family on a budget. I am thinking of tried and true, easy recipes that don't require expensive ingredients or gobs of time. Particularly, I am looking for something to quell the cries of, "Poptart!" in the morning, sang by the wee Bean. As Poptarts are expensive. And not overly good for you. And not what I really want to be shoving into my kids at 7 AM.

Yesterday I made Swistle's Apple Bread and mama mia, it was really so so good. So I am thinking things like that. Quickbreads? Maybe a favorite muffin recipe? Or a good "middle of the week" dessert? Or something that is easily tucked away for lunches? Breakfast-on-the-go-snack-type-foods.

So, can you help me out? You are welcome to post in the comments, but you can email me if you want to be shy/don't want to type all that bologna in that teeny white box. Misty . OurHouse (at) Yahoo (dot) com.

6 comments:

Nowheymama said...

I just made Swistle's apple bread Monday night! Mmmm....

I do make a lot of muffins (banana, zucchini, berry, whatever's in season/on sale). That is definitely our most common breakfast. I usually leave half a batch out and freeze the other half to keep it fresh/stop people from getting sick of one kind.

My neighbor does this, too, but she does mini muffins. Very cute and kid friendly.

LoriD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LoriD said...

I'll definitely be your neighbo(u)r!

Every weekend I make a batch of muffins/quickbreads for breakfasts for the upcoming week. Last Christmas Homer bought me this mini loaf pan and I end up using it a lot. I'll slice up one of the little loaves and, for whatever reason, the kids prefer this delivery style better than full-size loaves or muffins.

For mid-week desserts, we do instant pudding (whips up in 2 minutes) or fruit crisps (often made with fruit I have previously frozen). You can make the crumble topping minus the butter on the weekend so that it's quick to put together mid-week.

When I'm home I'll email you some of my bread recipes that the kids like.

Christina said...

Hello Misty! I'm a nowheymama reader and she posted you needed help!

I grew up with an infamous penny-pincher mom. My mom always made us a big, hot breakfast on Sunday mornings. Eggs, bacon or sausage and pancakes, waffles or french toast. She would make TONS of pancakes, waffles or french toast, though! Then we'd keep the leftovers in a huge tupperware or big ziplock bag in the fridge and re-heat 1 or 2 each morning for breakfast. It saved her time because she just had to make the first, big batch and I'm sure it was only pennies a meal when you break it down over that long a period of time.

Just a few seconds in the microwave or pop in a toaster oven re-heats them easily. Then you're free to roll up and eat on the go or smear with butter and syrup.

CAQuincy said...

...Also over here from Nowheymama.

My favorite muffin recipe I STOLE from Devan. Easy and yummy, and I'm a huge hit with the kids when I make 'em....

http://all-d.blogspot.com/2007/10/chocolate-chip-pumpkin-muffins.html


I also have good luck with my waffle maker. But I usually save that for DINNER. Heh.

Heidi said...

Once and a while my hus will make an apple cobbler which the kids love to have for breakfast. I can email you the recipe.
I also will make homemade pancakes on a day I have time and freeze them. Then some morning just put them in the microwave for a few seconds and they are better than the expensive store bought frozen ones.