Honey and I worked around the house this weekend because the weather was nice. Also, a little bit because we were home and just so glad to be able to work on things. I had this epiphanal moment that really helped me justify why we get so little done outside in the summertime. This is it: Summer in the South is like Winter in the North. It is too physically taxing to be outside. As to not strain one's health or comfort levels, it is really better to stay inside and be comfortable. (Yes? Yes? See me rationalizing Sloth? Envy, Gluttony, and Pride, here I come!)
Anyway, I cleaned the porch so it will be ready to paint next weekend. (I hope, barring rain and further infestations of lovebugs.) I got some cute little planters that I spray painted with shiny copper paint. I also painted a neat globe-like garden ornament I "received as a generous second-hand gift from a neighbor" (read: stole out of their trash. *Ahem*). I weeded a bit and put some fall plants into the flowerbed. Honey worked on the arduous task of the "playhouse", which is really a 5 foot tall pile of pallets in my backyard. Also, he messed with the compost to get it more how it is supposed to be, as my efforts had created decaying-vegetable-sludge and not so much something you want to put on your roses. I also trimmed the hedge that Honey had staked up after tangling with Gustav.
We have decided to bite the bullet and get a shed for the yard. Believe it or not, storage is something I can get excited about as our carport ain't lookin' none too pretty. And neither is our laundry closet. There are tools and cords and paint cans and all kinds of stuff that just needs to LIVE SOMEWHERE ELSE. We are waiting for a coupon from Lowes to get 10% off (hopefully) before we go make the big purchase. I am excited and also a little bit guilty. My debt-paying-off progress went in the pooper over the summer. Ah well. C'est la vie.
This time of year feels like another spring to me. We are making plans and have nice(r) weather. Birthdays and Halloween just around the corner. Pumpkin time and school buses. *Big contented sigh* Isn't Fall just the best season?
4 comments:
You are totally right. It's just too hot during a Southern summer to do anything productive. That's what the other three seasons are for.
Hee. I mentioned gluttony today in my post.
I LOVE Fall.
See this is why my neck of the woods sucks (or maybe doesn't). The summers are too F'ing hot to do anything and the winters are too F'ing cold to do anything. If it wasn't for spring and fall we would never get anything done. And really we only get a few useful weeks of each... AHHHHHH why oh why do I live here... Oh ya, I like it, mostly. :)
I looove fall! AL is simply too hot in the summer. Spring and fall are awesome though. Winter isn't too bad either !
Post a Comment