ka-Bang! ka-Thump! ka-Boom!
This foreign rhythmic sound shakes me out of deep deep sleep. Sleep so deep, I feel like I am drowning in the layers, like my eyes are puffy little clam shells that don't want to open. I haul my million pounds of dead weight towards the baby's room.
ka-Bang! ka-Thump! ka-Boom!
The noise goes on. I swing open the door and blearily stare at my youngest, who is standing in an empty crib, devoid of niceties such as a blanket or a pillow. They have been tossed from the wild rollicking ship and, against their will, are laying dejectedly upon the floor.
ka-Bang! ka-Thump! ka-Boom!
His little blond head bobs up. "Mommy! Jump! Jump!"
I lift his little sweet, albeit loud, self out of the crib and give him a quick snuggle as he is already squirming to get down. He digs in the blankets to find the coveted chewy, the sacred pacifier he is only allowed to have at bedtime. I reach my hand out for it and he tells me, "No. Ni-night." And proceeds to lay down on the floor on the pile of blankets, pretending to be asleep so that he can keep his beloved chew-chew.
Later on, I am rooting around in the refrigerator for something reasonable to to take to work for lunch. He stands beside me and points, "Eat. Water." I get him a drink.
Really, I am dumbfounded. Tell me. When did my little baby learn to talk?
8 comments:
awww, they grow in the blink of an eye.
they do grow so fast don't they
I love emerging talkers. So cute the things they come up with!
And before you know it, he'll be in school. Fascinating and a little sad at the same time.
Heidi
Isn't it fun? I remember when Bud, said "mo corn peeze??" when he was still such a baby and I just about fell over.
That is both cute and frightening. Little jelly bean.... already talking!
My son starts kindergarten this fall. My little baby boy.
On the other hand, Woo Hooo! More time to write.
Hee... and once they learn to talk, they will NEVER BE QUIET AGAIN. Oh, the constant stream of questions. Practice your "oh's" and "uh huh's", my friend.
Post a Comment