I have found myself missing my husband a lot. I think it is because of this whole new job so he has to work really hard to prove himself thing? And therefore I can't call him whenever I get a whim thing? For the past two days I have called him once around lunch. I am not sure whether when he was at the old job, I actually spoke to him more or if it is the "You CAN'T call him" thing that makes me want to call him. I have never been good at being told "no."And there are all of these terrible things in the news and it makes me want my children to be with me all the time so I can protect them from the big bad world. Plus, I hear terrible things at work all the time and, while I try to proverbially "put it in a box," sometimes the box leaks. Especially at night. So, I miss my family. I want us together so I don't worry about car accidents and bad guys. Do you ever feel that way?
But then, there is this...
Last night we had a Battle of the Wills about dinner. See, Brother won't eat anything that isn't a buttered simple carb. White Rice. Plain Pasta. BLAH. So, last night we decided at two hours before his bedtime to say, ok. We are tired of cooking separate things for you constantly. Now, you are going to have 1/2 a teaspoon of these rice molecules that actually have a little beans and gravy mixed in. Unless you choke it down, no other food will be cooked for your dinner. (OOooo Mommy Dearest is lurking.)
And do you know he wouldn't eat that one bite?
"It's Gross!" "I hate it!" "I have tasted it before!" "Nasty!" "Poison!" "Someone call OCS!" Followed by gagging noises and literally hocking lugies into his bowl. I told him if he was going to throw up, please do it in the toilet. In the end, did he even taste it? Nope. So, after much ado over 6 grains of flavored rice, he went to bed supperless. And Oh! I felt awful. I knew I had made the wrong decision and a teary 6-year-old boy was going to wake me up in the morning weeping because I "spoke to him like I didn't care about him." Oi. My poor baby.
But.
He woke up all smiles and didn't even want the big breakfast I was willing to cook for him to make up for starving him. Because he wasn't starving. He was...just being Brother, I guess. We will do it again tonight. He has to try things. Because I simply cannot let him subsist on bleached carbs and Flintstones vitamins alone.
2 comments:
Flintstones vitamins are freakin' delicious.
I know, right? I have the same thing with Eddie---he does eat veggies, I can give him that- but only from the can.
I read on another blog, not sure where, a mom has a rule that her kids have to at least taste what she makes for dinner. They may not like it, they may only lick it, but they have to taste it.
I'm strongly considering adding this rule...
Post a Comment