Wednesday, June 13, 2007

But...I like the Girlfriend

Ok. So, because of this post and my never actually *hearing* the song in question, I hopped on down to YouTube to see what this Avril Girl had to say. Um, I had never actually *seen* the Avril Girl either. She has a lot prettier face than I expected. Because of her songs and how real they seem, I expected her to be more like a real teenage girl and less pop-queen fabrication.

But there you have it. Fabrication all over the monitor.

The puffy hairdo that the girls at my high school sported that hid the fact that they were missing a brain. The hyper-sexualized nymphet literally beating up the normal looking girl to steal her hottie boyfriend so she can duck into a closet with him and do god-knows-what? Who says the boyfriend wants this pushy wig-laden girl anyway? If the gender roles were reversed, wouldn't the Avril Girl be stalking him and bordering on sexual assault? I mean, maybe the boyfriend has a good heart. Maybe he likes his girlfriend despite the glasses and plaid skirt that leaves the above-the-knees-area to the imagination. I actually think that him dating the "girlfriend" shows that he is more interested in what is in her head than what is in her pants. Not that nice girls can't be sexy when it is appropriate...

But still. Here is the Avril Girl ditty-bopping all over the place with her pissed off song but looking so much closer to Britney than I would have ever expected. Go freaking figure. I remember an interview with Kid Kraddick where he whispered almost the entire interview with her after a show because he felt like he really needed to be gentle with her. He said he wanted to take her home and put her to bed, because it seemed like she needed some parenting/homelife/comforting/etc. Makes me wonder how much the Avril Girl really likes wearing the brainless hairdo and fishnet stockings. Really. Do all young female performers/singers REALLY need to look like they belong on the cover of some magazine catering to the fantasies of disgusting old men and the pedophile fantasies about "18 year old girls". And don't get me started on the "18 year old girls" thing. Just don't.

In the end, I am so glad I have sons because I don't have to worry about my sweet daughter reading Cosmo and wanting to look like this poor girl. All I have to worry about is my son's ending up with a poor girl like this one. And no, not the Girlfriend.

1 comment:

doug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.